Thread: Greta Thunberg

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    I have no idea how brexit has got conflated with this. It will be blamed for lord lucan soon.

These are trans continental issues and signatories to such as Kyoto are across globe. We do not need to be par of EU to sign up to such agreements, indeed we can influence them far more with a direct voice at the table. Many of the scientific collaborations occur despite EU not because of it. EU policy has at best been a patchwork quilt. There are simply too many at the table in different stages of industrial development for decisions to be other than a lowest common denominator. Which is one reason the EU is useless, in the expanded form.

But my greater point is that the profligate generation is protesting!
    I do not know Ms thunberg, so If I wrongly accuse her, I apologise, but I know her generation behaves.

Does Ms thunberg need a government to tell her to stop updating her phone and or computer, and or clothes when they go out of fashion?

Will she only stop eating at food chains with their excessive packaging, stop buying easy processed foods, and stay home to peel spuds instead when the government forces her too?

Does she need to be told that students really dont need cars, (or foreign holidays: that she is part of the problem?

Will she be part of the now common low maintenance culture that prefers astra turf and gravel to putting plants in the ground that need looking after!?

Or will she only stop doing the things she should not when the government tells her to? Until then is it OK to do them, and just protest instead??

It is about the individual.
    Surely It starts with what these protesters are doing themselves to reduce climate change. It starts with every one of us. Let he who is innocent.
    But it is much more fun to protest instead. Pretend it is somebody else to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I am amazed that more young people - and not necessarily as young as Greta - do not get involved in climate change issues as 1/ surely they do not feel that Theresa May's generation represents them and 2/ it will affect them in a bigger way and for far longer than it effects us oldies.
    Whilst individuals can - or won't - do some of the right things, governments can achieve far more, given the will/incentive.
    We all know things we do out of choice that ideally we wouldn't - that car driven to the fell race with empty seats is a simple example.
    One of my favourite phrases that Greta uses is "beyond absurd" - applies perfectly to Brexit, which will/would be a climate change disaster.
    Last edited by Oracle; 25-04-2019 at 01:12 PM.