Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greta Thunberg

Banned
    I have no idea how brexit has got conflated with this. It will be blamed for lord lucan soon.

These are trans continental issues and signatories to such as Kyoto are across globe. We do not need to be par of EU to sign up to such agreements, indeed we can influence them far more with a direct voice at the table. Many of the scientific collaborations occur despite EU not because of it. EU policy has at best been a patchwork quilt. There are simply too many at the table in different stages of industrial development for decisions to be other than a lowest common denominator. Which is one reason the EU is useless, in the expanded form.

But my greater point is that the profligate generation is protesting!
    I do not know Ms thunberg, so If I wrongly accuse her, I apologise, but I know her generation behaves.

Does Ms thunberg need a government to tell her to stop updating her phone and or computer, and or clothes when they go out of fashion?

Will she only stop eating at food chains with their excessive packaging, stop buying easy processed foods, and stay home to peel spuds instead when the government forces her too?

Does she need to be told that students really dont need cars, (or foreign holidays: that she is part of the problem?

Will she be part of the now common low maintenance culture that prefers astra turf and gravel to putting plants in the ground that need looking after!?

Or will she only stop doing the things she should not when the government tells her to? Until then is it OK to do them, and just protest instead??

It is about the individual.
    Surely It starts with what these protesters are doing themselves to reduce climate change. It starts with every one of us. Let he who is innocent.
    But it is much more fun to protest instead. Pretend it is somebody else to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I am amazed that more young people - and not necessarily as young as Greta - do not get involved in climate change issues as 1/ surely they do not feel that Theresa May's generation represents them and 2/ it will affect them in a bigger way and for far longer than it effects us oldies.
    Whilst individuals can - or won't - do some of the right things, governments can achieve far more, given the will/incentive.
    We all know things we do out of choice that ideally we wouldn't - that car driven to the fell race with empty seats is a simple example.
    One of my favourite phrases that Greta uses is "beyond absurd" - applies perfectly to Brexit, which will/would be a climate change disaster.
    Last edited by Oracle; 25-04-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post

Surely It starts with what these protesters are doing themselves to reduce climate change. It starts with every one of us. Let he who is innocent.
    But it is much more fun to protest instead. Pretend it is somebody else to blame.
    On the "do what I say, not what I do" theme, my personal favourite has to be Robin Boardman-Pattinson. He and other Extinction Rebellion leaders have said that air travel should only be used in emergencies. But that doesn't apply to our friend Robin who goes on skiing and other holidays around the globe. With this kind of hypocrisy, he seems ideally suited for a career as a Remain MP.

I have no idea how brexit has got conflated with this. It will be blamed for lord lucan soon.
    er....post #5? Just like our parliament says no to the deal and no to no deal.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Sensible (please) use of wind.
    Mandatory solar panels on all new builds and public buildings.
    Accelerated introduction of hydrogen fuel cell technology and biogas production.
    Rapid adoption of Molten Salt Reactors.
    Immediate ban on coal firepower stations.
    Mandatory use of carboncure in concrete production.

All these will help bridge the gap to fusion.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    er....post #5? Just like our parliament says no to the deal and no to no deal.
    Did you read MikeT post to which I replied?
    He postulated Brexit would be a disaster for climate change. I fail to see the link.

I do see an ever more wasteful society that throws too many good things out because of "fashion". It throws out rather than learns to repair. It demands instant gratification with processed food packets and fast food chain packaging.

They are very much the young age group doing all this, who are also those protesting!

The locals could not park near one of my rental houses because all the students in the HMOs had cars, which we never did, small wonder many of them rack up debts. Nearly half of students in the US according to a survey I read, and so on.

Whilst the humble spud we still use has biodegradable wrapping and always has.
    When I was a lad....
    Last edited by Oracle; 25-04-2019 at 03:59 PM.

It's interesting that this thread has already generated division and finger pointing.

I don't see this as a UK vs EU issue, or as an old vs young issue. I see this as a human issue. We're all sharing the same planet.

Banned
    The protesters made it us and them.

Them doing the finger pointing, when the young certainly have no moral high ground on it. They are some of the worst offenders. The fast food generation with all their rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    It's interesting that this thread has already generated division and finger pointing.

I don't see this as a UK vs EU issue, or as an old vs young issue. I see this as a human issue. We're all sharing the same planet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Sensible (please) use of wind.
    Mandatory solar panels on all new builds and public buildings.
    Accelerated introduction of hydrogen fuel cell technology and biogas production.
    Rapid adoption of Molten Salt Reactors.
    Immediate ban on coal firepower stations.
    Mandatory use of carboncure in concrete production.

All these will help bridge the gap to fusion.
    Agreed - but all require government action, and cannot be achieved by individuals.

As to Brexit and climate change - less money to spend on green initiatives. Brexit is beyond absurd.

Never mind government, this needs international enforcement. But by whom? Vested interests seem too powerful to overcome.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

But my greater point is that the profligate generation is protesting!
    I do not know Ms thunberg, so If I wrongly accuse her, I apologise, but I know her generation behaves.

Does Ms thunberg need a government to tell her to stop updating her phone and or computer, and or clothes when they go out of fashion?

Will she only stop eating at food chains with their excessive packaging, stop buying easy processed foods, and stay home to peel spuds instead when the government forces her too?

Does she need to be told that students really dont need cars, (or foreign holidays: that she is part of the problem?

Will she be part of the now common low maintenance culture that prefers astra turf and gravel to putting plants in the ground that need looking after!?

Or will she only stop doing the things she should not when the government tells her to? Until then is it OK to do them, and just protest instead??

The whole point of my original post was that, like you, I often despair at the apathy to these issues shown by so many of the younger generation (as well as so many of our older generation ), whereas Greta Thunberg is rebelling against her own "profligate generation". And she does act on what she preaches: travelling by train rather than flying, and she doesn't eat meat (yes, I know that there is a debate about the effect of meat production about the environment, but the point is that she is putting herself out to do what she believes is right).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges