Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another decption

Master
    I'm just going to stick with my T3 camper van which I run on LPG and my classic mini which is well maintained and frugal, both of which have long since repaid the cost to the environment for there manufacturing carbon footprint.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Thanks for this. It has always been my belief that battery cars are a blind alley. I mean just the charging thing alone makes them a non starter for mass use.
    What we need is something that that is clean and powerful, refuels quickly and can use the existing fuel infrastructure. Oh, yes, that'll be hydrogen then. Fuel cell technology cant come quickly enough in my view.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Thanks for this. It has always been my belief that battery cars are a blind alley. I mean just the charging thing alone makes them a non starter for mass use.
    What we need is something that that is clean and powerful, refuels quickly and can use the existing fuel infrastructure. Oh, yes, that'll be hydrogen then. Fuel cell technology cant come quickly enough in my view.
    I am yet to be convinced by electric vehicles, but a few issues:
    1/ there are new techologies for battery which resemble capacitors as very rapid charge (although leaky), that then transfer charge to a conventional battery in transit ( and also allow bursts of energy , recharge on brake etc)
    2/ as a use for excess solar home generation in summer EV use energy for local journeys clearly have value

Hydrogen has problems too.
    3/ clean hydrogen production is a problem, much of it currently from natural gas reformation or electrolysis ( which then has a chicken and egg!)
    4/ the progressive poisoning of catalysts in fuel cells is a problem

Ultimately I see a world in which micro fusion solves transport too.
    Last edited by Oracle; 28-04-2019 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post

Hydrogen has problems too.
    3/ clean hydrogen production is a problem, much of it currently from natural gas reformation

Oh nostalgia: 50 years ago I worked on a high pressure steam ICI catalytic hydrocarbon reforming plant producing... a hydrogen rich gas (+ a lot of carbon dioxide which was vented into the atmosphere).

Now where is that wheel I invented earlier?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 28-04-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

With the use of electric cars on the rise and the ban on new petrol and diesel cars coming in 2030 I wonder if any research has been done on what the increased injury and fatality rate will be for pedestrians and cyclists.

Electric cars in their current form are a menace as they cannot be heard. On more than one occasion when out on my bike I have sensed something behind me to find some twat in an electric car inches from my rear wheel. Yes I know twats drive non electric cars too, but at least you can hear them.

The Highway Code tells us amongst other things to "listen" for vehicles when crossing the road.

I think that electric cars should be fitted with some sort of audible warning.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

And like phone ringtones, this could be anything. So you could buy a new Tesla, and be required by law to have it make some sort of noise, but have 20 options to go for.

What noise would you go for? Or do you think lawmakers would require that they sound like cars? That would seem anachronistic.

Joking aside this does concern me and have given it thought. I've not come across any electric cars on the road but seen a very few pull away and they are totally silent.
    During these lockdowns we have all been walking, biking and jogging around the village with no traffic and no road sense, it will be bad enough when cars return to our roads but an electric car could cause carnage.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    With the use of electric cars on the rise and the ban on new petrol and diesel cars coming in 2030 I wonder if any research has been done on what the increased injury and fatality rate will be for pedestrians and cyclists.

Electric cars in their current form are a menace as they cannot be heard. On more than one occasion when out on my bike I have sensed something behind me to find some twat in an electric car inches from my rear wheel. Yes I know twats drive non electric cars too, but at least you can hear them.

The Highway Code tells us amongst other things to "listen" for vehicles when crossing the road.

I think that electric cars should be fitted with some sort of audible warning.
    I think they should be preceded by a walking man with a red flag and a bell.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 18-02-2021 at 12:12 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

As someone who has been ‘run down’ by an old boy on a mobility scooter in Skipton high street on market day, I can attest to this very real danger

I'm pretty sure all electric cars are fitted with noise generation for low speeds to alert those around them to their presence, not compulsory to use the noise though, so down to individual drivers. You can have similar, though less lethal, problems with bikes. I know someone who was seriously injured by an unheard cyclist riding at speed on a canal towpath. It's like pretty much all road issues, if everyone behaved safely and courteously, we'd all be fine!
    Geoff Clarke