Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another decption

I was heading out of Llanbedr last autumn on the way up to the first climb on the Black Mountains race route... just jogging up the road with a mate and occasional forumite TrevorM...

Looked back over my shoulder and there was an electric car within feet of us... had absolutely no idea it was there.

I take the viewpoint that if you're running on the road then it is your responsibility as a pedestrian to be aware of what is around you, and most definitely to give way to vehicles. It's just something that everyone is going to have to get used to... both us as runners/cyclists, and some awareness from the drivers that they might not be as obvious as they were in traditional cars...

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    And like phone ringtones, this could be anything. So you could buy a new Tesla, and be required by law to have it make some sort of noise, but have 20 options to go for.

What noise would you go for? Or do you think lawmakers would require that they sound like cars? That would seem anachronistic.
    We need a sound that carries emotional resonance and triggers alertness, especially for children's hearing. I think Mr Whippy's greensleeves should be mandatory for all EVs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52G62_e7VKg
    Am Yisrael Chai

Could electric cars be programmed to go ‘boo’ if too close and you haven’t realised or been aware enough.

I can see lots of potential for electric cars colliding with (mainly urban?) runners wearing earphones. A perfect storm if ever there was one

On the point of bicycles being equally dangerous though, sometimes poster on here, and ex BGR club chairman, Morgan Williams was pulverised by a mountain biker on ilkley moor a year or two ago, with all sorts of metal and screws having to be used to put him together again. I’d say that for most fell runners, bikes will still be the biggest threat. And not electric cars

And as I’m now a biker in the hills, let it be known that my new bike did come with a Noddy bell and I won’t be pulverising any runners any time soon

Another conundrum, since I dislike the roar of traffic (especially motorbikes) breaking the peace on a nice day...

Perhaps the other hazard is what happens when everyone has a car that can do 0-60 in 2 seconds. Lamp post repair could be a new hot industry.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post

On the point of bicycles being equally dangerous though, sometimes poster on here, and ex BGR club chairman, Morgan Williams was pulverised by a mountain biker on ilkley moor a year or two ago, with all sorts of metal and screws having to be used to put him together again. I’d say that for most fell runners, bikes will still be the biggest threat. And not electric cars
    What happened to Morgan W was dreadful. But the many mountain bikers I meet on the bridleway up to the Outwoods are always courteous, and even the people riding bikes on footpaths (where they shouldn't be at all) always do so considerately. Although of course I am in a civilised part of the world, not somewhere uncouth like Ilkley.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post

Morgan Williams (the most excellent FRA Secretary for me when Chairman and a near neighbour in Ilkley at the time) was indeed pulverised by a species of animal known as a descending, high speed, mountain biker who was never traced, despite the incident being reported in the Ilkley Gazette. However, ironically, the tumble which led to Morgan having horrendous knee damage, and still carrying bits of expensive metal in his body, was a casual fall on a route on the moor he had run a "thousand times" just a mile from his house.

On the latter because he had a mobile phone he could contact his wife Alison who came to his assistance.

So in summary: carry a phone, the worst accidents can happen on your door step and, of course, always keep away from idiot mountain bikers.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 19-02-2021 at 11:55 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I was sneaked up on by an electric car today whilst out with the dogs. I was walking down a narrow tarmac unclassified road with the wind behind me when I saw a shadow on the road in front of my feet. I turned around and there was a maroon coloured car about 2 feet behind me. It was so close I couldn't see what make it was and the driver was grinning like a Cheshire cat. What a twat.

I didn't say anything but thought, **** you, and carried on walking down the road for about 30 yards where I knew there was a footpath to turn into. It followed me, still at 2 feet away, and when I turned off it carried on in silence. I then noticed that its rear number plate had a green stripe on its left hand side. I have noticed a few of these plates recently and my son informs me that they are found on electric cars.

So it appears that electric car drivers have a green stripe to signal their smugness. I don't think there is anything to be smug about supporting slavery, including of children, in the extraction of Cobalt in the DRC, to manufacture the batteries.

Rant over
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I was sneaked up on by an electric car today whilst out with the dogs. I was walking down a narrow tarmac unclassified road with the wind behind me when I saw a shadow on the road in front of my feet. I turned around and there was a maroon coloured car about 2 feet behind me. It was so close I couldn't see what make it was and the driver was grinning like a Cheshire cat. What a twat.

I didn't say anything but thought, **** you, and carried on walking down the road for about 30 yards where I knew there was a footpath to turn into. It followed me, still at 2 feet away, and when I turned off it carried on in silence. I then noticed that its rear number plate had a green stripe on its left hand side. I have noticed a few of these plates recently and my son informs me that they are found on electric cars.

So it appears that electric car drivers have a green stripe to signal their smugness. I don't think there is anything to be smug about supporting slavery, including of children, in the extraction of Cobalt in the DRC, to manufacture the batteries.

Rant over
    It goes beyond a green number plate stripe. The Electric Mini has garish colour/ signs/ bells/ whistles all over it saying "LOOK AT ME. I AM SAVING THE PLANET."
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 25-05-2021 at 08:59 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

Rant over
    Llani you clearly haven't realized that 'green' consumerisim is going to save the environment and the planet. The more 'green' technology stuff we churn out in bloody great factories, and can flog, year on year with new 'green' product lines to replace the old, the better life is going to be. Jeez. Get with the programme and buy more, 'green', stuff.
    Am Yisrael Chai