Thread: Holiday advice

Holiday advice

Hi, I'm looking for advice on holiday destinations. Looking for a 2 week break in October. No more than 2 5 hours from UK. Not too hot or wet! Needs to have beach on doorstep, stuff for teenagers to do and most importantly hills or trails on the doorstep.
    We've done Port Soller in Majorcy a few times which was excellent but are now looking for something different. Any ideas?
    Neil

Obvious choice for me is the Canaries.... 4 hours flight... certainly unlikely to get wet... I went to Corralejo in Fuerteventura for 3 weeks over Xmas a couple of years ago and it was the best xmas I’ve ever had! 10 miles of sand dunes just outside the town, not the hilliest area of the island, but a couple of extinct volcanoes within a couple of miles, and bigger targets further away. Loads of shops, restaurants, bars, water sports, etc...

I’m sure there are more authentically Spanish places in the Canaries, but I think it would be hard to beat as a compromise. The scenery around the island is stunning.

Banned
    Turkey.
    3hr 45mins from Leeds or Manchester.
    Well worth the extra flight.
    Hills and fire tracks. Excellent weather, good food, value for money and plenty to do.

Costa Adeje area Tenerife. I know it's a little further away but come October it's about the only place where you can be sure of sun and warmth. Lively resorts stretching for around 10 miles on that south-west corner with some good walks to be had on the sea front.

There are also trails up the mountains behind.

I did an approx. 20 mile loop contouring around the south side of Roca Del Conde and working north to Ifonche before heading back west to Adeje.
    Views unbelievable, lost of route options depending how adventurous you want to be.

https://rt-supplies.co.uk/wp-content...7/DSC_0048.jpg

This pic is at about 3,000ft, above the Barranco del Ferno looking down to Costa Adeje and Playa del Las Americas.

I used the Tenerife Hikers Map
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenerife-Hi.../dp/1782750363

and

Walk Tenerife
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walk-Teneri.../dp/1904946828

to work out some routes.

I say Costa Adeje, as that's the part I stayed but any of the areas up that stretch of coast from Los Christianos to Fanabe would give you the same options.
    Last edited by Witton Park; 04-05-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Thanks for advice. I'm thinking now of Sitges near Barcelona or Mallorca again. Sitges seems to be bounded by a national park.

I live in San Sebastián, ticks the boxes except for weather really - which is usually good in Sept and Oct but not guaranteed like the Canaries. Beaches are urban but La Concha is often in the top 10 of Europe.
    Trails - there are brilliant coastal trails heading east, direct from the centre (Camino de Santiago) , but being a city of 200k, sprawl means you're better off taking the train two stops to get to others. EasyJet is 1h45 MCR Bilbao, then a 1h (17€) bus transfer.
    Feel free to get in touch if you need more specifics!
    PS. For hunting out trails, Wikiloc is popular over here

We did Sitges once, years ago as a rock climbing holiday. There's lots of hills and forests, so I suspect the running would be good. As an alternative Sierra Nevada is also great. I've been there a few times. Cheap flight to Malaga, 1.5 hour drive to the foothills. Then it's 1 hour from the beach or 1 hour from very tall mountains.

QUOTE=bob_summers;649880]I live in San Sebastián, ticks the boxes except for weather really - which is usually good in Sept and Oct but not guaranteed like the Canaries. Beaches are urban but La Concha is often in the top 10 of Europe.
    Trails - there are brilliant coastal trails heading east, direct from the centre (Camino de Santiago) , but being a city of 200k, sprawl means you're better off taking the train two stops to get to others. EasyJet is 1h45 MCR Bilbao, then a 1h (17€) bus transfer.
    Feel free to get in touch if you need more specifics!
    PS. For hunting out trails, Wikiloc is popular over here[/QUOTE]

I love the Basque country and spent a lot of time there in the 90's. I hadn't thought of it as a holiday place so thanks for reminding me. I loved the French side too, Biarritz etc. Not sure about the weather though. I had a friend in Bilbao and used to go busking around the area every August when the big fiestas were on. Very happy memories of drinking red wine and coke all night!

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    We did Sitges once, years ago as a rock climbing holiday. There's lots of hills and forests, so I suspect the running would be good. As an alternative Sierra Nevada is also great. I've been there a few times. Cheap flight to Malaga, 1.5 hour drive to the foothills. Then it's 1 hour from the beach or 1 hour from very tall mountains.
    We've actually got some guests in our BnB from Sitges staying with us tonight. I'll pressing him for info in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    Very happy memories of drinking red wine and coke all night!
    Kalimotxo! My dad likes that - last time he was over, the owner of the holiday flat left them a posh bottle of reserva (25eur...) which I later found he mixed with coke. You can take the lad out of Cumbria...