Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Resting

Master

Re: Today's Resting

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    That works for me, and glad it does for you too. It is what fits into my lifestyle at the moment and that is the main thing.

Overtraining is easy to do, especially as lots of us race week in week out.

Quality Turbo Tom, not steady!
    For me though im trying to build up to a steady mileage then incorporate my harder sessions in order to peak for the right events
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Been out for a hilly walk this morning, was going to do a long run, but decided to do nothing for the rest of the day, feeling lazy
    Hills and Guinness!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    I couldnt have put it better myself!

Read sarah rowells book tom, she really gets the point across about how important rest is and how people get so caught up worrying about missing a days training or not reaching a certain weekly milage when really they should be thinking about the lack or rest they get.
    or i could listen to my coach like i am doing

This is an interesting debate. I am attempting to train consistently this year and improve my stamina and speed but rest days are an important part of that. From the limited experience that I've had, I not only run faster but also enjoy myself more when I include rest days. Last year I had a few weeks where I trained and did three races a week (road, cross country and fell) and I was knackered and suffered in other areas of my life with poor concentration and lack of creativity. Like HHH and some of the others say...it is about striking the balance between the rest of my life and running. I like to cycle too so I often do that on a non-running day.

However, I am not looking for an international vest just to be the best I can be and enjoy it. Good luck TurboTom, you've obviously got determination, just be careful not to burn out or injure yourself and don't think it is the end of the world if you miss one session.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    This is an interesting debate. I am attempting to train consistently this year and improve my stamina and speed but rest days are an important part of that. From the limited experience that I've had, I not only run faster but also enjoy myself more when I include rest days. Last year I had a few weeks where I trained and did three races a week (road, cross country and fell) and I was knackered and suffered in other areas of my life with poor concentration and lack of creativity. Like HHH and some of the others say...it is about striking the balance between the rest of my life and running. I like to cycle too so I often do that on a non-running day.

However, I am not looking for an international vest just to be the best I can be and enjoy it. Good luck TurboTom, you've obviously got determination, just be careful not to burn out or injure yourself and don't think it is the end of the world if you miss one session.
    I mean its not that I pan every day...dont get me wrong folks. But unless i am injured i find either core work or a easy 3/4 mile run tides me over and does still provide my body with the rest needed.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    thats a stupid approach...and no offence to Mr Dunn a runner of talent i could only wish to have.

I believe that steady mileage is the way and then run hard in races....with steady mileage and plenty of racing- form improves (i can tell) and hopefully an international vest will pop up as well
    England or Wales vest ?
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Wonder what billy bland would be saying with some of these posts!

If you want to be a decent runner id say theres no avoiding the miles though! do you mean three actual session a week e.g. speedwork, hill reps etc.... and then what you call 'rest' is steady running inbetween? The attitude that 'less is more' is thought by many to be the reason we've got such a weak generation now compared to the 80's. Yes speed/quality is important but getting steady miles inbetween is equally vital. Just have a look what sort of mileage the vast majority of top runners are doing! obviously though the key with youngsters is building it gradually, and this way you should be able to handle 100+ miles a week when older.
    Obviously this is if your body can handle and lifestyle etc....

Super Moderator

100miles per week on the fells steadyeddy?

More rest for me tonight
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I think the problem is you can't do 40 races a year and 100 miles a week.
    In cycling the long steady miles are done in the winter,off season,to gain a base. Then during the race season,the miles are reduced and efforts are brought in to replace the long miles. Shorter but harder sessions. It's all relative mind. There periods of lower mileage are still alot more than most peoples idea of "low".

Master

Quote Originally Posted by steadyeddy View Post
    Wonder what billy bland would be saying with some of these posts!

If you want to be a decent runner id say theres no avoiding the miles though! do you mean three actual session a week e.g. speedwork, hill reps etc.... and then what you call 'rest' is steady running inbetween? The attitude that 'less is more' is thought by many to be the reason we've got such a weak generation now compared to the 80's. Yes speed/quality is important but getting steady miles inbetween is equally vital. Just have a look what sort of mileage the vast majority of top runners are doing! obviously though the key with youngsters is building it gradually, and this way you should be able to handle 100+ miles a week when older.
    Obviously this is if your body can handle and lifestyle etc....
    yes. i do generally 2 hard, one easy . Just doing 5 or 6 miles at a steady pace completes my day and then loosens up the muscles for the next day.

My mileage is no where near 100 more like 30

Scott-Dunno, id love an England vest but the likelihood is that il go for the Welsh