Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Lakes race Jul/Aug?

What Lakes race Jul/Aug?

Hi all,
    I'll be in the UK over summer, based in South Lakes. Having DNSd my first race at Easter due to a wrecked hire car, I'm still to break my duck. Any recommendations for a first, longish, race? I thought of Borrowdale but heard they require previous experience of L length races (have done AL equivalent Spanish trails which I doubt would count)
    Kentmere? Sedbergh? Sat poring over the fixtures book but no clue really.
    Have already pencilled in Bootle show at the end of August as it's organised by my club. Any must-do races?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Borrowdale maybe a bit of a baptism of fire if you could get in and really needs a recce (or two.) Kentmere us a good one and deservedly popular. Personally, I'd plump for Turner Landscape.

Kentmere would be ideal, great route and decent mix with some runnable sections. A few days before you also have Rydal Round on a Thursday as part of Amblesides show fair. There's Blisco Dash midweek in July on 17th I think too for some short fun.

Skiddaw is a classic but a grind straight up and down first weekend of July which is another option.

Hi Bob

Sounds like you are in the UK for a good amount of time so you could really get some good racing in (matrimonial and family comments notwithstanding)

Kentmere is really good as a longer run - runnable, ace views and easy nav. I live in Kendal so this is home ground (nearly)

Rydal Round ditto

Then others - Steel Fell (organised by Gavin Bland and free what’s not to like)

At least one show race - so many to choose! They are all good

And the Wednesday evening circuit

The beast ones are just that - better to have a series of races you will enjoy and do more of, than really pushing it and recovering for ages

Rich

Thanks for the suggestions, probably aim to do two or three weeks and have no preferences otherwise for dates so might as well try to fit a few races in. Kentmere, Turner current piquing my interest. Think you're right Pete about Borrowdale. Currently running those kinds of distances in the back third of the field - throw in some Lakes clag and getting the map out, and I'll be up there all day.

Starting to take shape (ignore Borrowdale), might get 4 races in two weeks, Rydal to Turner Landscape. Shame that my club race is dangling alone at the end of Aug, probably have to miss that.

Looking good bob 👍🏼 Got to love the FRA calendar- it’s like a mid 80s fanzine

Banned
    If you manage the Rydal Round there is always the BOFRA guides race about an hour after. Just a steady mile up followed by a lovely mile down.

Banned
    Oh sorry, it starts and finishes in the main ring of the same show ground.

Haven't found much about the Rydal round - is it part of Rydal show? If I can take the family and they've got something to do while I'm running, it makes the planning go a lot more smoothly!