Thread: Maps

Master

Maps

Does anybody on here use Talkytoaster maps :-

https://shop.talkytoaster.me.uk/

I am toying with giving them a shot but just curious if any of you have experience of them.
    The older I get the Faster I was

My brother, who is based in Ireland uses them, he raves about them. But that may be partly due to the fact that the Irish OS maps are fairly average.

I'm use TalkyToaster the whole time with Basecamp on my PC and on my Garmin GPXMAP 64X handheld.

It uses Free Maps so its not going to have the fine detail of an OS map (e.g. hollows on hillsides indicated by little indents in contour lines) but its perfectly fine if you want to follow tracks and some basic navigation.

I do like its ability to zoom in without loosing resolution.

In comparison to 1:50,000, it's probably better but the 1:25,000 will be far superior.

NOTE: This is the 'bought' version of TalkyToaster for UK and Ireland
    Last edited by Finbarr; 09-05-2019 at 04:50 PM.
    Quote: "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

Master
    Thanks guys given what the TT 1:50 maps cost I figure there is not a lot to lose by taking out a subscription, as the digital maps will only be used on the PC for planning and the GPS for backup,because I always carry a paper map and compass on the hill anyway.

Hope you don't mind me asking, are there any OS type maps available for Majorca? Off there in June and would like to get my hands on something for the North East around Pollensa.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Hope you don't mind me asking, are there any OS type maps available for Majorca? Off there in June and would like to get my hands on something for the North East around Pollensa.
    Check out toastytalkers website :-

I think he does spain as a whole which may cost you a tenner and it may well be worth getting in touch with him and asking I hear he is really helpful.

Whilst I can`t vouch for his maps as I have not yet had personal experience of using his maps I am convinced enough to take out a subscription for the uk map.

I have played with the Talky Toaster maps and they are not bad. There is another chap who has produced maps combining the OSOpendata and open street map data. See his page here, I have been using those maps in QMapShack to plan runs etc and they are pretty decent. Really can't complain about the price either at only £20 for entire UK.

https://www.the-thorns.org.uk/mappin.../ukgarmin.html

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    These maps are good for the Tramuntana mountain range in Mallorca. This is the 4 map set although I just got one of them with a guide book so they are available separately but that was from a shop in Mallorca.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Serra-Tramu.../dp/8480905867