Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Voting at EU elections

Nah....

Banned
    Why not?

CL has been a long-standing contributor to the forum.

Controversial at times of course, but thought-provoking.

Any efforts to bar would be misguided in my opinion.

Perhaps the role of the mods should be considered, often coming on to threads they have scant interest in just to try and poke fun at contributors?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    Nick Charlesworth’s pre-Chase announcement the other week up in Wharfedale was fantastic. Basically he said it’s only a race up a hill and back. If you drop out let us know. If someone’s coming up, or back down let them pass. Look out for each other up there. Be polite was what he was getting at I think

The moderators on here are unpaid volunteers. Brett is also a race organiser - I was at one of his races last week

I don’t do much moderating. I delete the occasional bit of spam and look out for stuff that’s offensive. Both are usually highlighted by members themselves

If it wasn’t for Brett’s hard work we wouldn’t have a fellrunning forum. Keeping it going must be like having an old MG, or a fifteen year old dog you love and dread the thought of losing

Fellrunners who insult other runners or race organisers would I imagine be banned from running their races. Why would a fellrunners forum be any different?

Suppose becasue it is the "general chat" section. I bite my lip and ignore the really crass statements. Except for the comment about shooting Diane Abbott's picture, which, in my opinion (and others) went too far.

Banned
    Stolly arrived back earlier this year calling people TWATS and that was laughed off because it suited.

The forum will demise if all the outspoken people are banned.

Look at the section he is posing in. "DOWN THE PUB" for Christs sake!!!

I think CL was out of order with his comment to DT. I'm all for robust debate but we should try and refrain from personal attacks.

However I think it is an overreaction to throw him off the forum. I wonder if the same would happen to somebody with different views. It seems to be ok to call people who voted for Brexit racists.

Stagger beat me too it with his comment about Stolly. His last post included the following:

"Llani Boy is just a is coming across as an extreme right wing thug........ the pie in the sky bollocks and mumbo jumbo of the Oracle, the weird stalking of CL, the plain dumb ignorance of Stagger and the odd nut job like Llani Boy"

Charming.

Ok, he took himself off the forum after that. Would the moderators allow him back if he changed his mind I wonder.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    What MR said.

When Stolly came out with those comments, I was thinking, "Oh s**t, we Remainers are supposed to be the civilised ones, the offensive stuff is only supposed to come from Leavers". Equally, CL shouldn't be allowed to insult other forumites; but in general I don't like the idea of "no-platforming", so maybe he could apologise and be allowed back?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Nobody has been banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I think CL was out of order with his comment to DT. I'm all for robust debate but we should try and refrain from personal attacks.

However I think it is an overreaction to throw him off the forum. I wonder if the same would happen to somebody with different views. It seems to be ok to call people who voted for Brexit racists.

Stagger beat me too it with his comment about Stolly. His last post included the following:

"Llani Boy is just a is coming across as an extreme right wing thug........ the pie in the sky bollocks and mumbo jumbo of the Oracle, the weird stalking of CL, the plain dumb ignorance of Stagger and the odd nut job like Llani Boy"

Charming.

Ok, he took himself off the forum after that. Would the moderators allow him back if he changed his mind I wonder.
    Mmmh. Actually I empathised with some of Stolly's post - after the sharp intake of breath.

I regard the intellectual property of the Forum as belonging to Brett and his moderators...if they don't accept something then it isn't acceptable. Period, as they say in the good ol' USA.

I disdain the views, attitudes and language of some people on here and I do not engage with them.

I've met CL, Stolly,... and, as Oliver Cromwell said, you accept people (or you don't) "warts and all". I'd be happy to meet them again. (Maybe not Cromwell).

I regret some of my posts:satire, droll humour and irony can easily be misunderstood...but, as Nietzsche wrote, the worst crime is to be boring and if people whose posts are robust, challenging, provocative,...occasionally go too far...well that might be a price worth paying unless the Forum is only ever going to discuss curtain materials and knitting patterns (and "what shoes do...).

But the call is with Brett and DT.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 22-05-2019 at 09:23 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".