Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this offensive?

Master
    Isn't public transport part of the solution to climate change?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Isn't public transport part of the solution to climate change?
    I'm not convinced there is an answer unless we can develop a thermostat for the sun amongst other things.

I'm convinced we need to be more responsible with the planet earth. Our lack of respect for the environment is mind-boggling.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I'm not convinced there is an answer unless we can develop a thermostat for the sun amongst other things.

I'm convinced we need to be more responsible with the planet earth. Our lack of respect for the environment is mind-boggling.
    Nuclear fusion is the answer. Unlimited clean energy. Unlimited clean transport. Unlimited cheap food (since the key to production is also energy)

Magnets and superconductors are improving at a rate comparable with Moores law.
    It is only a matter of time before hydrogen can be crushed into helium.
    Sure it might take a few decades but that is nothing in geological time.

I anticipate many small power plants ( the size of containers, and later even fridge size) . One of the critical design factors is getting energy away from a core, which problem increases disproportionately with the size of reactor, because it is necessary to take the heat radiated from a surface (ie area) but it is generated proportional to volume, and the size of the plasma will be tiny compared to the energy radiated. The energy density staggering..

The fundamental problem that has plagued fusion is the idea of many state or institution collaboration. As someone who has been involved in that type of project, It simply does not work. Apart from ending up with massive committees, ( which is part of why the EU does not work) it also breeds the primary goal of those taking part, trying to get as much contract work as they all can. The work ends up dividing up into a myriad of bits and loses the focus.

It needs focus and massive funding from just one organisation primarily private sector, which is how I think it will be solved. THe problem will come in trying to wrestle the intellectual property away for the common good. But patent life is short in geological time. So ten years later is mass production.

(which incidentally is why drugs are so expensive: they cost so much, eg 50m for phase 3 trial, the success rate is low, and patent life is so short, they cost a staggering sum of money! Comrad Corbyn is a nutcase if he thinks he can steal pharmaceutical company property, if he tries it he will discover the UK on a blacklist for all drugs, so he cannot steal any more from them, like all communist thinking it has the opposite effect to that intended. He should replace the manifesto tag line to "venezuela here we come")
    Last edited by Oracle; 17-10-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    The fundamentalist Christian posted a banner on his Instagram account in April that read: "Drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolators - Hell awaits you."
    does it offend you?

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    does it offend you?
    Not in the slightest, but it depresses me knowing there are nutcases like that out there spewing their hatred.

Banned
    The man you are talking about is a man of Christ.

Doesn't offend me.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion.