Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Expats voting, WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Off course you have turned your back on your country of origin.
    You should only be allowed to vote in your country of resistance.

We don't want people who don't contribute, live and suffer in the uk to have a say in our affairs.
    I worked in East Africa for 3 years, I used a postal vote for the 97 election, it was still my country even though I wasn't resident hence I voted. If you believe I'm wrong in this, I beg to differ. Was thoroughly entertaining going into school listening to the results come in. A 2 hour time difference meant the 7am start was the 5am results. A memorable day!!

What elections? Local? General? European?

Local elections.
    An EU citizen, resident in an EU country, has the right to vote in the local elections.

General.
    Anyone can vote in the country of citizenship. Not in the country of residence.

EU.
    EU citizens can vote, but they must choose to vote, either in the country of citizenship or in the country of origin.

I'm a bit pissed that for the first 18 of the 24yr I lived in my native Italy I could not vote. Age, fair enough.

And since leaving, 22yr ago, I've never had the right to vote in the general elections of the countries of residence. Despite having there/here house job family and everything else.
    Yet I was/am still entitled to vote for a country where I hold no assets, no income, and I only visit rarely.

Fair?

Off course you have turned your back on your country of origin.
    You should only be allowed to vote in your country of resistance.

We don't want people who don't contribute, live and suffer in the uk to have a say in our affairs.
    Interesting that you feel free to pass judgment on people you don't know and know nothing of their circumstances or motives. People live abroad for all sorts of reasons - military personnel posted abroad, diplomatic staff posted abroad, aid workers, missionaries..... Most haven't turned their back on their home country they just have reasons which mean they need to live elsewhere for a period.

Banned
    Not residence not voting. Simples.
    Come back vote reinstalled.

Not residence not voting. Simples.
    Come back vote reinstalled.
    Sorry, believe that to be wrong and quite disrespectful. Would you tell this to a serving soldier posted abroad, so not resident here!!

I agree

Trev is prob on the strong stuff...

Banned
    Ha ha ha your right. Stellas to start with and now gin and lemonade.
    Don't want to offend any one.
    Enjoy life and a drink too.
    Cheers Brett

PS in July i have a do in Keighley fancy a pint? ?

Banned
    Night night all 👍🍻

I don't have a vote in Ireland and don't see why I should. If I am not going to be effected by the decisions, why should I have a say in them?