Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotfoot up Famau

Moel Famau

Could anybody give me an idea of the route for the Hotfoot Up Famau Race. Not done it before.
    Last edited by Pinno; 23-06-2007 at 08:48 PM.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Re: Moel Famau

This is a tougher race than The Druid & my favourite of the series. For those of you who felt frustrated running the Llangynhafal Loop at not being able to run all the way up The Gully (due to the pedestrians around you ) this is your chance to salvage some pride.

It starts from the top car park on the opposite side of the road from Foel Fenlli. You head up Offa's Dyke Path to MF, after 300 or so yds you'll see a signpost pointing left off the main path, take this. Don't follow the path over the fence, follow the fence line all the way round to the very bottom of the valley. After you've followed the fence line down once you'll have an idea where the route goes & you'll be able to cut the corners next time . Follow the wee stream down the valley on either side of the bank until you reach the bottom of Moel y Gaer which you climb up . When at the top of MyG you make your way round CW or ACW, it will be marked on the night, until you find a stile on the opposite side. You climb over this & scream down the field aiming for the bloody great rock/standing stone at the bottom. turn left at the stone & follow a path through the bracken/gorse until you reach a gate/stile which you cross & then make your way up The Gully. When you meet Offas Dyke again, in the shadow of Moel Famau, you hang a right & hammer your way down to the carpark.

Job done!
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Great description Fellrunner, cheers.

Cheers for the description fellrunner. Tracey and I took a nice Sunday stroll around Moel Famau today with our little one. Cracking views along the way, if we got it right it looks a good route for the race. By god the heavens opened though as we got to the bottom, it looked like the monssons had arrived. Thankfully we had anticipated the weather.

Nice route description Fellrunner, but unfortunately I can't get to this one.

I did, however, do a training run round a fair portion of the course today. Anybody thinking of doing this one might be advised to pack a machete, as the vegetation in places has gone berserk. My shins are still tingling from thrashing through all the man-eating bracken that has sprung up.
    Everybody's heart doesn't beat the same.

Did this last night - it wasn't the bracken that was the problem but the nettles hidden in the bracken!

Enjoyable race apart from that - I'm still running terribly though and was very slow on the big climb, then got cramp at the top and could only jog down :-(

I also did this race and didn't do myself justice. still struggling on the uphill climbs found it much tougher than the Druid. got up some good momentum on the downhill sections but need to improve a lot. The bracken and nettles posed a big problem in places tonight.

I managed to survive the slippery descent down into the valley only to go over on my ankle on a flat bit..the same ankle as I did on the Carneddau a couple of weeks ago. Called it a day there as I've another race on Sunday so had to limp back up the way I'd come

Results are at www.wfra.org.uk

Nice one, Fellrunner - well done.

And Joe, surely that doesn't count as 'running terribly' - I'd have been pleased with that result, I'm sure.