Thread: Giving blood and long run

Giving blood and long run

I was/am planning to do a long run tomorrow (25 milish), starting early morning (5.30am) but unexpectedly ended up giving blood (250ml) this afternoon. Will that have any effect tomorrow? Do I need to scale back the run? Thanks for any advice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Latege View Post
    I was/am planning to do a long run tomorrow (25 milish), starting early morning (5.30am) but unexpectedly ended up giving blood (250ml) this afternoon. Will that have any effect tomorrow? Do I need to scale back the run? Thanks for any advice.
    Well? Did it have any effect?
    Last edited by CL; 21-06-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Having looked for advice on a few other sites the consensus seemed to be that a 25 mile run 12 hours after giving blood isn't a great idea so I dropped to a simple 5 miler. Probably a good idea as I could feel the difference even then. I may have been able to get round a 25 miler but I doubt I'd have enjoyed it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Latege View Post
    Having looked for advice on a few other sites the consensus seemed to be that a 25 mile run 12 hours after giving blood isn't a great idea so I dropped to a simple 5 miler. Probably a good idea as I could feel the difference even then. I may have been able to get round a 25 miler but I doubt I'd have enjoyed it.
    Giving blood will set you back for a while. When you think about it training is in part about building up the blood. Then you give that hard work away in donation.

If you've got lots of iron in your body you'll be back to normal in a month or two.

Yes, I realised it would have an effect, just was't sure how much. Did 24 miles the following weekend - possibly harder work than normal but ok. I feel more-or-less back to normal now - but then I only gave 1/2 pint (it was for a 2 year old).

I donate platelets once a month and can run ok after, but then I only loose 200ml of whole blood.