Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: What's Your Plan?

  1. #1
    Senior Member #bob#'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hull
    Posts
    137

    What's Your Plan?

    There's a lot of talk of politics on this forum, generally over smaller issues of contention, ie Brexit or NHS. What I want to know is what is your masterplan? How should things be set up? Communes, dictatorship, no countries? I'm speaking on a global scale. What would work that would suit everyone?

  2. #2
    Master Wheeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Monmouth
    Posts
    6,418
    Iain Banks had it all worked out.
    Supercomputers to run society and humans all provided for and equal and free to pursue whatever the want.
    Read the Culture novels to see how this plays out!
    I am Kuno....

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by #bob# View Post
    There's a lot of talk of politics on this forum, generally over smaller issues of contention, ie Brexit or NHS. What I want to know is what is your masterplan? How should things be set up? Communes, dictatorship, no countries? I'm speaking on a global scale. What would work that would suit everyone?
    I could say: Nuclear fusion producing unlimited cheap energy and so unlimited cheap food. So nothing left to argue about. But then with infinite time to argue, it would actually get worse.

    So bring back 70 hour working weeks in exchange for a meagre crust. Then everyone would be too knackered to argue!!

    Till then , there's always John Lennons imagine!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    394
    It's also interesting that whilst the correlation is far from perfect the happiest countries in Europe: Finland, Iceland, Norway are also those of least population density. Or is it Slav countries? Denmark and Netherlands feature quite high as well....

    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    I could say: Nuclear fusion producing unlimited cheap energy and so unlimited cheap food. So nothing left to argue about. But then with infinite time to argue, it would actually get worse.

    So bring back 70 hour working weeks in exchange for a meagre crust. Then everyone would be too knackered to argue!!

    Till then , there's always John Lennons imagine!

  5. #5
    Senior Member #bob#'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hull
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    It's also interesting that whilst the correlation is far from perfect the happiest countries in Europe: Finland, Iceland, Norway are also those of least population density. Or is it Slav countries? Denmark and Netherlands feature quite high as well....
    So get rid of the surplus?

  6. #6
    Master noel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Mountains of Cheshire
    Posts
    5,106
    Ban master plans. If politics has shown us anything over the past 4 centuries it's that master plans tend to lead to suffering.
    No longer "resting"

  7. #7
    Master DrPatrickBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marple, Manchester
    Posts
    2,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Iain Banks had it all worked out.
    I love SpaceX's naming of the Drone ships "Just Read the Instructions." and "Of Course I Still Love You"
    https://www.space.com/28445-spacex-e...ips-names.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •