Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap the BBC

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    And there's me accusing them of left wing bias!😂😂
    I just accused them of being poor in terms of news, sport and comedy. They show little that I'd be interested in watching.

I'm not interested in their big showpiece programmes like Strictly... and when they cover sport it's done in a way where it's more about the presenters than the participants, such as a typical athletics meeting where they open up with 30 minutes of chit-chat between Gabby, Denise, Colin and Paula....cut to a 200m race which is over in no time and back to 30 minutes of chit-chat.
    I can watch Loose Women for that.

The only credit I gave them was for Gone Fishing - a cracking programme.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    You don’t think this is a big thing then? Given that she is also president in waiting we’re Joe Biden to die. And the huge huge contrast of this following on from such a batshit mental racist like Donald Trump?
    If she were elected perhaps it would be a big thing and if you check out some contributions from leading democrats, they have more than their fair share of batshit crazy people and mental racists so watch this space.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I know that some of their best comedy shows tend to include some comedians with a left wing (or anti brexit, or anti Boris or both) bias but they’re mostly made by external production companies and the programs and their audiences would just shift to another channel if the BBC started exerting too much editorial control. And the comedians are almost always right too

Equally though their political journalists seem mostly very tippy toey around letting right wing politicians have a stupidly easy ride. They have massively failed to fact check in the past and have allowed an awful lot of rubbish to be spouted as truth, which has to some come across as the bbc supporting some of the stuff being said. Their fact checking to be fair is getting a bit better now but, jesus, it was abysmal during all the brexit crapathon
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 21-01-2021 at 09:57 AM.

You don’t think this is a big thing then? Given that she is also president in waiting we’re Joe Biden to die. And the huge huge contrast of this following on from such a batshit mental racist like Donald Trump?
    Obviously not as big as the BBC do. We had similar 13 yrs ago with Obama. What did he do?

And a final show of bias by the spiteful Jon Sopel who when reporting on Trump leaving the White House yesterday said that as soon as he left, "the cleaners went in" implying that he would have left it a shithole.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Guys, careful criticizing the BBC...

I've been resident in 4 different countries and the BBC is by a zillion mile the bestest national TV.
    As soon as I moved to Germany 8yr ago, it took only a month to conclude how appalling the local TV is. The good thing is it prompted me to live without TV. No regret yet.

Mind you, the law says I must still pay the 19eur/month license no matter no TV ever entered our household.
    And if I didn't pay? They just help themselves.

I know that some of their best comedy shows tend to include some comedians with a left wing (or anti brexit, or anti Boris or both) bias but they’re mostly made by external production companies and the programs and their audiences would just shift to another channel if the BBC started exerting too much editorial control. And the comedians are almost always right too

Equally though their political journalists seem mostly very tippy toey around letting right wing politicians have a stupidly easy ride. They have massively failed to fact check in the past and have allowed an awful lot of rubbish to be spouted as truth, which has to some come across as the bbc supporting some of the stuff being said. Their fact checking to be fair is getting a bit better now but, jesus, it was abysmal during all the brexit crapathon
    My favourite "recent" sitcom was 20 years ago almost. Gimme Gimme Gimme - nothing to do with political alignment as the main actors are both lefties.
    It made me belly laugh - not a lot does these days other than some of your posts on here
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Another curiosity about the BBC is that not only is its understanding of 'diversity' so evidently superficial (i.e. what shade of colour your skin is, or what does or does not swing between your legs, or what person/animal/rock/tree you fancy or not) rather than a more meaningful diversity of ideas and opinions, but that even by it's own shallow standards it apparently eschews anyone with a west-country accent as a national presenter!

That's a very deep prejudice the oxbridge Islington elite wokerati needs urgently to purge.
    Am Yisrael Chai

It seems regional accents and hair colours are the last two "ists" that are allowed. I'd be fired for mocking a colleague for being black (and quite rightly - I understand the reason for this). But if they were ginger or had a brummie accent, my colleagues would probably laugh along.

I think there might be more west country folk on the BBC than we know of, it's just they've (rightly or wrongly) stopped speaking with an accent. Maybe because they think it's not what the BBC thinks people want to hear.

Come to think of it, you're both right. I've not heard The Wurzels on the radio for a few years.

Ooooh Arrrgh
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I quite liked listening to Steph McGovern who I believe was under valued by the BBC and got some abuse from listeners because of her strong regional accent and assumed working class background.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run