Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap the BBC

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I was surprised to find that this company didn't have any ships. They leased them. A significant portion of the shipping sector works this way. They tender for contracts that would typically be for a year to 3 years and then go and find a ship which they can lease to fulfil the contractual duties.

Althoiugh often:

Railway Companies don't own the trains, lococomotives or "trucks", nor the stations nor track.

Airlines don't own the planes.

Farmers don't own the combined harvesters.

Many cars on the roads are now leased

Most retailers don't own the "shop".

And then there are franchises...
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 17-09-2020 at 02:33 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

And most utility companies don't produce any gas or electricity, own any distribution network or do anything actually useful as far as I can tell.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Seems like High Heffner was right all along. His famous quote "If it flies, floats or f**ks, rent it" now looks like it applies to most things!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    And most utility companies don't produce any gas or electricity, own any distribution network or do anything actually useful as far as I can tell.
    Well that is the result of Conservative politics.

When I graced British Gas plc with my expertise and it was one of the greatest companies in the known universe it owned everything as a vertically integrated organisation from "drill bit to burner tip".
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I wouldn't dispute that Grayling is an underwhelming politician - but the Oil, Gas and Offshore Wind industry are regularly awarding contracts to shipping companies with no ships.
    Even 'underwhelming politician' is giving him far too much credit! The Seaborne fiasco was about far, far more than whether or not a prospective ferry company owned its own ferries. When it was awarded the £14 million contract, Seaborne Freight had existed for just 8 months, and not only did it not have any ships of any kind (not owned, nor leased, nor borrowed), it had never operated any. None. Ever. The Public Accounts Committee put the wasted cost of the exercise (which related not just to the Seaborne contract) at around £85 million, though some people put the true cost at over £100 million. And there's more to it! This wasn't a normal contract by any stretch of the imagination.

Here we go again.

Llanelli has hit the news as one of the towns facing Coronavirus restrictions. But can the BBC presenters, save for Huw Edwards, pronounce it properly.

It drives me crazy that they seem to make no effort to pronounce Welsh names properly but with other languages, in addition to correct pronunciation, they even put on the accent!

Even a half wit can see that Llanelli doesn't begin with a C.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

The BBC should have equal pay for men and women. All male salaries should be cut to the level being paid to women doing the equivalent job - not the other way round. Rant over but it's my money they are using.

Banned
    They should all have there pay cut.

The amount of salary pay is ridiculous.

Super Moderator
    How do you say it? Flanny?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    How do you say it? Flanny?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog