Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap the BBC

I cut packham a lot of slack. As a self identified person on the autistic spectrum (asperger's) I think he's a positive role model for people like him. As i dont follow social media I was not aware of his activities in that direction. I guess it's a continual problem for the Beeb. Just because he has a contract with them does that mean he cant have an opinion on social media platforms? The majority of these so called influencers have never been anywhere near mainstream broadcasting so the argument that hes trading on his BBC profile doesn't really hold water. Overall you can't fault his enthusiasm.

Interesting to hear varying perspectives on Packham, great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by harv View Post
    Interesting to hear varying perspectives on Packham, great stuff

4 things I love (have loved) about the BBC (spoiler alert: they're all on the radio - no TV!)

1. THE SHIPPING FORECAST. This is well ahead of everything else. In fact I think for the good of the nation it should be made mandatory for every man, woman and child (babies included - wake them up if necessary) to have to listen to this, three times a day, in reflective silence.

2. CABIN PRESSURE (ok canned laughter can be a bit...) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=840xOjZW0Ws

3. FAGS MAGS AND BAGS - e.g The Wall of Crisps episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcoKk8gLZuU (sorry, this is a TV version, but you'll get a 'flavour' of the radio series).

4. CLAIRE IN THE COMMUNITY - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGDKjY8Ckw pokes fun at the wokerati
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post

.....pokes fun at the wokerati
    Is wokerati even a word? Meaning the exact opposite of twat-erati presumably?

We’re watching Spiral (BBC 4), Winterwatch (BBC2) and Would I lie to you (BBC1) on BBC at the minute, the occasional Kermode and Mayo (Radio 4) and, shamefully, we also listen to the Archers (Radio 4) but that’s our lot from the BBC otherwise. No news, no early evening twiddle, no political twaddle. Whatever else we watch right now is probably on Netflix.

That said there’s new series of Gentleman Jack, Line of Duty and Shetland coming, all BBC, and we’ll be watching them. So the BBC aren’t dead yet. It’s just their journalism that is dead to me
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 25-01-2021 at 02:37 PM.

BBC:- Good things:-
    The News Quiz
    More or Less
    I'm sorry, I haven't a clue
    The Now Show

Plus quite a few things on BBC Scotland or BBC Alba, in particular:-
    Roaming in the Wild
    The Adventure Show
    And quite a lot of stand alone outdoor programmes. Often find myself watching BBC Alba with subtitles in preference to anything on English BBC. In particular a one off programme called The Inaccessible Pinnacle - maybe a little sentimental but it says much about going in to the mountains, getting old, recapturing a perfect day on the hills and the magic of legends and history and folklore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    BBC:- Good things:-
    The News Quiz
    More or Less
    I'm sorry, I haven't a clue
    The Now Show

Plus quite a few things on BBC Scotland or BBC Alba, in particular:-
    Roaming in the Wild
    The Adventure Show
    And quite a lot of stand alone outdoor programmes. Often find myself watching BBC Alba with subtitles in preference to anything on English BBC. In particular a one off programme called The Inaccessible Pinnacle - maybe a little sentimental but it says much about going in to the mountains, getting old, recapturing a perfect day on the hills and the magic of legends and history and folklore.
    1 to 4 above, Yeap - me too.

Thanks for the heads up about BBC Scotland and Roaming in the Wild. Found this on iplayer https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...doon-the-forth and it's on the list to watch tonight - cheers.
    Am Yisrael Chai

University Challenge is the only thing i watch on BBC (in fact the only new thing that i watch on any tv apart from live sport).

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    University Challenge is the only thing i watch on BBC (in fact the only new thing that i watch on any tv apart from live sport).
    Well, I enjoyed it when Scumbag College were on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysG96dUtGh4
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Is wokerati even a word? Meaning the exact opposite of twat-erati presumably?
    No, wokerati are people who use Chinese cooking implements.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Whatever else we watch right now is probably on Netflix.
    So that will be Mank and The Trial Of The Chicago Seven for Hester and for you: Call My Agent?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".