Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap the BBC

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    They are working on the gender pay gap - I just don't know how Lineker is going to survive.
    By eating his supply of walkers crisps, the lad will never starve.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

They were discussing the salaries on BBC Breakfast this morning with Esther Rantzen As a former presenter I assumed she would tow the line and say what fabulous value for money it was. But not a bit of it. Rantzen said that given the commercial platform being on the BBC gave them, there was no need for any presenter to be paid more than the Prime minister - circa £155k. Lineker could still flog his crisps (he also works for BT Sport). The look on the faces of Walker and Minchin when it cut back to them was a joy to behold. For the record they are paid £260k and £215k respectively.

Banned
    Shearer is a suppository.

What about the argument always rolled out on CEO pay, you have to pay to get the talent? Or football management's apparent revolving doors? Mind talent on TV is very subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky View Post
    What about the argument always rolled out on CEO pay, you have to pay to get the talent? Or football management's apparent revolving doors? Mind talent on TV is very subjective and in the eye of the beholder.
    So you have Zoe Ball there on her Radio 2 slot. She might be the best DJ on the BBC. I don't know as I have never listened to her show.

She has her £370k salary, but her ratings have just been shown to reduce by a million. I wouldn't hold that against her because there are more players in the market now.

But I could imagine her waiting for a contract renewal negotiation thinking she'd be happy to hang on to what she's got and would be cock-a-hoop at a small increase say to £350k, even £400k.

I imagine she was gobsmacked to be offered £1.36 million like most people are.

Maybe they asked her Dad to Think of a Number
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I personally hate the right wing po faced bias of the BBC's political journalists but love the left wing, satirical bias of their comedy programs. Like in any organisation they've probably got too many over appreciated and over paid people working for them and too many under paid under appreciated people

Regarding salaries which are considered to be excessive, perhaps it's just that there's a shortage of people who have a proven record of being really, really, incompetent and so, if demand outstrips supply, those people are at a premium and this has a knock-on effect for the salaries of people who are just moderately incompetent.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...week-sbklq5jcg

"Chris Grayling, who as transport secretary awarded a ferry contract to a company with no ships, will take up a £100,000-a-year role advising a leading ports company. Mr Grayling will collect his six-figure salary in return for seven hours of work per week for Hutchison Ports Europe, according to the latest MPs’ register of interests. Taxpayers were left with an £83 million bill for ferries that were chartered by Mr Grayling’s Department for Transport to bring in supplies in the event of a no-deal Brexit but never used."

On second thoughts, the idea that there's a shortage of people in this country with a proven record of being really, really, incompetent is surely preposterous.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem View Post
    Regarding salaries which are considered to be excessive, perhaps it's just that there's a shortage of people who have a proven record of being really, really, incompetent and so, if demand outstrips supply, those people are at a premium and this has a knock-on effect for the salaries of people who are just moderately incompetent.

"Chris Grayling, who as transport secretary awarded a ferry contract to a company with no ships, will take up a £100,000-a-year role advising a leading ports company. Mr Grayling will collect his six-figure salary in return for seven hours of work per week for Hutchison Ports Europe, according to the latest MPs’ register of interests. Taxpayers were left with an £83 million bill for ferries that were chartered by Mr Grayling’s Department for Transport to bring in supplies in the event of a no-deal Brexit but never used."

On second thoughts, the idea that there's a shortage of people in this country with a proven record of being really, really, incompetent is surely preposterous.
    I went to see a North Sea Supply Ship company in Aberdeen around 2010 when I was UK Sales manager for a Norwegian PPE supplier.
    It was a relatively new industry to me at the time as I had come from a life in the footwear industry.

I was surprised to find that this company didn't have any ships. They leased them. A significant portion of the shipping sector works this way. They tender for contracts that would typically be for a year to 3 years and then go and find a ship which they can lease to fulfil the contractual duties.

I wouldn't dispute that Grayling is an underwhelming politician - but the Oil, Gas and Offshore Wind industry are regularly awarding contracts to shipping companies with no ships.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Flem View Post

As a private company Hutchinson Ports Europe can hire whoever and pay whatever they want. If it turns out to be a bad decision that’s their lookout. The BBC on the other hand is publicly funded. We have to fork out for it whether we like it or not. That’s the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    As a private company Hutchinson Ports Europe can hire whoever and pay whatever they want. If it turns out to be a bad decision that’s their lookout. The BBC on the other hand is publicly funded. We have to fork out for it whether we like it or not. That’s the difference.
    I don't like this sort of patronage though MR.

It's one thing to join Parliament from a family business and keep your hand in doing a little when duties allow as say a GP or solicitor in your practise, especially as you may have to return full time if the electorate change their mind on you next time round.

I think it's another being employed as an advisor. Let's be realistic, Grayling is being paid for access to information from decision makers.
    There will be a lot of money in freeports and if Hutchinson can get one or more of their UK ports in there it could be a great move for shareholders.
    It might be a good decision for Hutchinson Ports, but is it for the electorate and Grayling's constituents?
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell