Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap the BBC

Unbelievably the BBC turned down the new take on All Creatures Great and Small which was then snaffled immediately by channel 5. As a program of light hearted, Yorkshire Dales loveliness it is just about perfect with a great cast - what the heck were the bbc thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Unbelievably the BBC turned down the new take on All Creatures Great and Small which was then snaffled immediately by channel 5. As a program of light hearted, Yorkshire Dales loveliness it is just about perfect with a great cast - what the heck were the bbc thinking?
    You can't be serious!

The remake of ACGAS is, save for the scenery and along with remakes of Last of the Summer Wine, Open All Hours, Dad's Army and probably others I can't think of now, no where near the quality of the original.

Why can they not leave these things alone?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    You can't be serious!

The remake of ACGAS is, save for the scenery and along with remakes of Last of the Summer Wine, Open All Hours, Dad's Army and probably others I can't think of now, no where near the quality of the original.

Why can they not leave these things alone?
    No, you can’t be serious!

The actors are brilliantly cast. I’d say it’s just as good as the original if not better

The actors are brilliantly cast. I’d say it’s just as good as the original if not better
    I'll have another watch and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I'll have another watch and report back.

Nah. If it's not on Sky Arts...
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Well myself and my wife like it along with both my mum and my daughter so it appeals to 3 generations here. I didn't warm to it immediately because I remember the original but once I accepted it for what it is I loved it.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

The irony is, aside from the BBC’s skewed political journalism which I definitely go way out of my way to avoid, we no longer watch anything on conventional TV stations with any bias towards one station or another. If adverts come up in anything we’re watching we’re virtually always on catch up and just skip through them.

So for instance we’re currently working our way through all of 8 seasons of Spiral (it’s French and set in Paris and is the most brilliant tv crime drama ever, up there with the Wire I’d say) and to be honest until I just checked I had no idea what station it was on. I’d done a voice search for it on Sky Q when we started, all 8 seasons came up and we cracked on with it.

It’s actually on BBC 4 so well done BBC
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 22-01-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Master
    The irony is, aside from the BBC’s skewed political journalism which I definitely go way out of my way to avoid, we know longer watch anything on conventional TV stations with any bias towards one station or another.

So for instance we’re currently working our way through all of 8 seasons of Spiral (it’s French and set in Paris and is the most brilliant tv crime drama ever, up there with the Wire I’d say) and to be honest until I just checked I had no idea what station it was on. I’d done a voice search for it on Sky Q when we started, all 8 seasons came up and and we cracked on with it.

It’s actually on BBC 4 so we’ll done BBC
    We watch the BBC news at 6, mainly for FOMO, then the local BBC news at 6.30, which I think is very good, followed by Channel 4 news at 7 for a better analysis of UK and world events. Then, usually, we turn it off.

I have been watching Spiral since it began - only the last episode of series 8 to go - I really enjoy it. There is some other stuff that I like on BBC4 - the documentaries in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    We watch the BBC news at 6, mainly for FOMO, then the local BBC news at 6.30, which I think is very good, followed by Channel 4 news at 7 for a better analysis of UK and world events. Then, usually, we turn it off.

I have been watching Spiral since it began - only the last episode of series 8 to go - I really enjoy it. There is some other stuff that I like on BBC4 - the documentaries in particular.
    Spiral is absolutely brilliant. We’ve just finished season 3, the butcher of La Villette, and are jumping into season 4.

As for bbc news (or newsnight or question time or Sunday morning politics) I just cannot bear to waste time watching or listening to any of that. I get all the news I need on my mobile phone

I must confess that every now and again the BBC does appears in my good books.

This week is one of those occasions with this years Winterwatch. I find the lockdown editions are a better format than they were pre lockdown. One of the reasons is that there are fewer opportunities for Chris Packham to get on ones tits.

The other three main presenters, Megan, Gillian and Iolo are excellent.

As well as admiring the wildlife I find myself enviously admiring the outdoor jackets that they are showcasing. Paramo, Fjallraven, Rab, Mountain Equipment to name a few.

They must have a healthy expense account!