Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap the BBC

The public perceive what they see on the BBC as the Gold Standard. My parents are prime examples. Maybe that is on the wane, but it still stands, particularly in the older generations.

Presenters on the BBC have a status attained by their exposure on the BBC.

So if they then adopt a campaigning agenda, using their profile developed via the public broadcaster, the campaign position they adopt has a greater chance of being treated as the right side of the debate than for other people.

It can skew the balance.

I'm pretty sure it didn't happen in the past.

I don't remember David Coleman writing an opinion piece for The Sunday People about the referendum on joining the Common Market.

James Burke didn't endorse Michael Foot at the 1983 General Election.

I'm sure they had opinions, but we didn't know what they were and they didn't have a vehicle to tell us. Now they have Twitter etc.

Maybe there were some that older heads will recall, but this celebrity campaigning on all matters seems to be a modern phenomenon and I don't thing it's made for better debate.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Jack Dee Sent To Siberia was on last night. I really enjoyed it. Made by Tiger Aspect, the company behind Peaky Blinders.

BTW. Has Andrew Marr lost his marbles?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I follow Chris Packham on Twitter and the vast majority of what he posts is very positive stuff about nature and retweets of others about the same. He does post about environmental stuff too - he’s anti hunting, anti HS2, anti overfishing and very pro maintaining wilderness, not killing raptors and pretty much all things pro nature. Needless to say he puts the back up people that have opposite views to him - you know fox hunters nailing a dead fox to his front gate and that - but like I said most everything he posts is positive.

I haven’t seen any product placements at all, unlike me on Instagram being so positive about my graphine inov8 trail ultras and mudclaws and earning “millions of pounds” on the back of it

Have a look -> https://twitter.com/chrisgpackham?s=21
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 24-01-2021 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    I can't see any indication that he got that badger's full consent to A) have it's photo taken, or B)it's image published around the world.

And don't get me on about his brazen brandishing of his pet/slave...urgh!

Tut....#Packhambloomin'animalexploiterist
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Packham was on Radio 4 Broadcasting House this morning, talking about parakeets and other introduced species. Perfectly sensible, rational bloke as far as I could tell.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I would have liked to have heard that (I guess I could find it on catch-up). It's an interesting case with parakeets - I can't really see an argument for not eradicating them from the UK. From what I've heard, the counter argument is that they're harmless and pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I would have liked to have heard that (I guess I could find it on catch-up). It's an interesting case with parakeets - I can't really see an argument for not eradicating them from the UK. From what I've heard, the counter argument is that they're harmless and pretty.
    Having now listened to this, it seems the counter argument is that they're not causing any ecological damage. This seems tricky to judge. I'm thinking of all the little impacts on the various birds species (nest sites, food, competition etc), that are probably very hard to quantify.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I don't remember David Coleman writing an opinion piece for The Sunday People about the referendum on joining the Common Market.
    You must have a short memory

Quote Originally Posted by David Coleman in 1975
    With this in mind, 'Britain in Europe' set out to foreground 'personalities' over 'politicians'; people who could embody sensible, mainstream opinion, without the taint of political responsibility. Sports personalities were thought especially valuable. The broadcaster David Coleman organised a 'Sportsmen for Europe' office, and Henry Cooper, Colin Cowdrey, Jackie Stewart and the Olympic pentathlete Mary Peters all lent their images to the campaign.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Having now listened to this, it seems the counter argument is that they're not causing any ecological damage. This seems tricky to judge. I'm thinking of all the little impacts on the various birds species (nest sites, food, competition etc), that are probably very hard to quantify.
    Don't know about any quantifiable research but macaws and various other 'parrots' have been flying around the streets and surrounding countryside of Kirkby Stephen for years. Over the last 25 years I've been there I think their numbers have dwindled a bit, but they seem to get on with all the locals well enough.

http://edenvalleycumbria.co.uk/kirkby-stephen-parrots/

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...lebrity-status
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Don't know about any quantifiable research but macaws and various other 'parrots' have been flying around the streets and surrounding countryside of Kirkby Stephen for years. Over the last 25 years I've been there I think their numbers have dwindled a bit, but they seem to get on with all the locals well enough.

http://edenvalleycumbria.co.uk/kirkby-stephen-parrots/

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...lebrity-status
    How interesting. They're obviously pretty hardy then - and well fed seemingly. I'll keep an eye out next time I'm in the area.