Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap the BBC

Llani Boy, I think the trouble we have with this is it hard not to focus the personalities when it fact we elect a government not a prime minister. The media cannot interview a party as a whole so it has to focus on the prime representative of that party. Where the unfairness comes is that the whole cabinet changes...but the no one turns at hair at mid-term cabinet re-shuffles. This is just a reshuffle that includes the top minister.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

The BBC a laughing stock again. In its eagerness to be PC and get a "representative" selection of questioners they ended up with an Imam with somewhat unwanted views.

You couldn't make it up.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    The BBC a laughing stock again. In its eagerness to be PC and get a "representative" selection of questioners they ended up with an Imam with somewhat unwanted views.

You couldn't make it up.
    They had him on Five Live this morning asking what he thought of the candidates answers. His question had been about Islamophobia and how words matter - obviously aimed at Boris. Naturally he said he wasn't happy with the answers and Nicky Campbell and Rachel Burden were fawning all over him. Then about ten minutes later it came through that the BBC hadn't vetted him properly and that he had previously come out with some anti-Semitic views. Nicky Campbell then had to apologise to the listeners for having him on the programme. Hilarious, it made my morning.

the thread is "scrap the BBC" but all the news/current affairs channels have gone haywire. They all seem to lack balance.

Take the two latest.

Greenpeace protest at Mansion House.
    the sensible, balanced report would be something along the lines of "a group of Greenpeace protestors were somehow allowed past security to gain entry to the Mansion House speech attended by the Chancellor, Bank of England Governor and others. As one of the protestors purposely moved around the tables heading towards the Chancellor, MP Mark Field stepped up to block her path and then restrained the protestor before ushering her back out away from the guests."

Instead we get claims of violence, grabbing by the throat, calls for him to be kicked out of the party.

Then we have police called to Johnson's House by a neighbour and it just happened to get "leaked" to the Guardian. The police visit, and leave reporting that there was nothing to report.

Yet all over the papers and news we now have misogyny, domestic abuse.... Mary Creagh MP this morning saying that these allegations are very disturbing.

The BBC are part of the problem, but the media generally is in deep and the whole country is partly responsible.

Incidents such as the Cliff Richard helicopter shots, BBC in cahoots with the coppers and then Tom Watson using his "source" to expose Leon Brittan, Ted Heath and Lord Bramall under Parliamentary privilege; Nick aka Carl Beech has now been charged with perverting the course of justice and may well fall foul of other offences.

We had Plebgate where Andrew Mitchell had to resign, but was eventually exonerated and a copper was charged and pleaded guilty to misconduct in public office.

Somehow we have to get back to innocent until proven guilty rather than trial by versions of media and be able to have faith in the police and state not to act in a politically motivated manner, or as judge and jury as such actions can cause grave harm to the individuals involved, as well as harming the trust that the public should have in their institutions.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

be able to have faith in the police and state not to act in a politically motivated manner
    isn't that a bit naive WP? It's happened since the invention of democracy.....
    ....it's all downhill from here.

The BBC really have lost their marbles. Firstly they let the Womens World Cup programme overrun, even though England lost, to carry out a post mortem and then when the 10 o'clock news started late, the first 10 minutes was of BBC staff interviewing each other about the heartache.

Absolutely pathetic programming decisions. Unfortunately more to come with the tennis.

The BBC really have lost their marbles. Firstly they let the Womens World Cup programme overrun, even though England lost, to carry out a post mortem and then when the 10 o'clock news started late, the first 10 minutes was of BBC staff interviewing each other about the heartache.

Absolutely pathetic programming decisions. Unfortunately more to come with the tennis.
    They did England proud, we should all get behind them, they’re clearly not going to switch the game off to show the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    They did England proud, we should all get behind them, they’re clearly not going to switch the game off to show the news.
    The game had finished.

The game had finished.
    Ah see I didn’t realise, I have a remote control, I switched over when the game had finished and watched something else as I have loads more channels to choose from and can pick something else if I don’t want to watch what is on a particular channel

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Ah see I didn’t realise, I have a remote control, I switched over when the game had finished and watched something else as I have loads more channels to choose from and can pick something else if I don’t want to watch what is on a particular channel
    That's the problem with TV these days. If you don't like what the BBC are 'forcing down our throats' then you've got no choice. You simply have to watch it. If only there were more channels to choose from.