Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap the BBC

Can't scrap the BBC, Missus was filmed today on a series of Antiques Road Trip, stardom is calling.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

She wasn't showing an antique nuclear reactor is she?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Super Moderator
    Moley are you calling the Missus an antique?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Moley are you calling the Missus an antique?
    She is an official antique on her birthday next month, but I'm not telling her!
    They didn't want to buy the old reactor, some nonsense about requiring H&S certificates.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Super Moderator
    ‘They’ sound wise people Moley

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I wouldn’t believe anything I heard or saw associated with the BBC now. Daily Mail or Guardian for me

#balance
    So who would you trust? The Telegraph? , The Express? Fox news? There ia an arguement that the project to make people question
    all media is nearing fruition. There are after all plenty of "alternative facts."

Super Moderator
    I wouldn’t trust any news outlet. ‘Neutral coverage’ is impossible. Everyone puts their spin on the story

I take an average between RT and Al Jazeera.

Al Jazeera is probably the best of the news channels. RT does seem to contain quite a lot of pro-Russian propaganda in my eyes (as you'd expect).

NDTV cracks me up... India seems to be in a permanent state of chaos!

Quote Originally Posted by creaky View Post
    So who would you trust? The Telegraph? , The Express? Fox news? There ia an arguement that the project to make people question
    all media is nearing fruition. There are after all plenty of "alternative facts."
    That's a very interesting point.

I watched a piece the other day on Youtube which discussed the plight of journalism, with the ex hack saying the industry is in trouble and much of what we see is now what he described as "churnalism".

He explained the problem roughly as this.

Most journalists working for the nationals had come up through the local/regional paper route and were professional, trained journalists. They were used to investigating stories, doing the legwork either as employed or freelance, attending courts, interviewing people and putting pieces together.

A story that might earn a freelancer a grand 20 years ago is now worth £200.

The papers do not have the money to fund and develop proper journalism, so they tend to just re-hash what is already out there.

He also went on to explain how the career path has changed markedly. Many journalists now tend to be graduates, the interns, researchers, move on to work for websites and if they can get on TV and radio to lift their profile, they might then get a column in a paper and even move in to TV.

Where are the journalists now going to come from who can find stories like the Dodgy Dossier, the Westminster Expenses scandal....?

I'll give an example, Andrew Norfolk. Durham Uni Newspaper, Scarborough Evening News, Yorkshire Post, The Times. He's had a 30 year career to be Chief Investigative Reporter.

I doubt you'll see that sort of career path anymore.

I think in most aspects of news reporting we are seeing a drive towards celebrity, personality, contacts... and it isn't healthy.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell