Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap the BBC

Banned
    Yep. Seen the photos released by police.

He is definitely a black man.

But here lies the problem.

Does it make me racist by describing him by a colour??? Or sextist by describing him by gender???

The world is going bonkers.

Llani is 100% correct. After reading the bbc articles there is no mention of colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Or sextist by describing him by gender???
    Certainly if you've mis-gendered him/her/it/them/xem (I think the list goes on quite a way)
    (Delete where appropriate)
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

This incident got quite a bit of coverage here, being local, and a close relative was covering it for his newspaper.

We can debate the rights and wrongs of describing him as black/male etc til the cows come home... I don't particularly want to get into that.

Although I think the above posts are a little harsh on the BBC.... It would appear that it was West Midlands Police who refrained from giving a detailed description of the suspect, and I guess the BBC and other news outlets can only reproduce what is issued by the police.

The real issue being that the Police instructions to the Birmingham public was be "be alert and vigilant, as the suspect was still at large", yet they refused to issue an accurate descripton of the suspect... This is the unacceptable part of the whole thing...

1) appearing to politicise the news and info they release particularly when there is still an apparent danger to the public.
    2) please just report the truth and stop treating the public like idiots... (OK a lot of the UK public are idiots, but that doesn't make it right!)
    Last edited by Travs; 07-09-2020 at 07:29 AM.

I recall a few weeks ago that the BBC and others were very keen to tell us that BAME folk were likely to be affected more in terms of illness from Coronavirus than the general population.

Isn't it strange that they are not so keen to report the figures that tell us the ethnicity of those testing positive in the areas where there have been spikes due to people not abiding by or ignoring the rules.

I wonder why.

On a similar note, it seems to be taking some time for full details of the Birmingham stabbing victims to emerge. Normally the press are all over this sort of thing.

I wonder why.

There is something happening in this country that is going to backfire, big style, before very long.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I recall a few weeks ago that the BBC and others were very keen to tell us that BAME folk were likely to be affected more in terms of illness from Coronavirus than the general population.

Isn't it strange that they are not so keen to report the figures that tell us the ethnicity of those testing positive in the areas where there have been spikes due to people not abiding by or ignoring the rules.

I wonder why.

On a similar note, it seems to be taking some time for full details of the Birmingham stabbing victims to emerge. Normally the press are all over this sort of thing.

I wonder why.

There is something happening in this country that is going to backfire, big style, before very long.
    In the early stages here in Blackburn they did.
    From memory it was around 80% from "South Asian ethnicity" which is the wrong way around if it was to be proportionate.
    Probably largely irrelevant as the testing reliability is "a bit rubbish" according to Scotland's head health guy.
    https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/new...gn=sharebarweb
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Looking forward to the next promotion of racial segregation 2.0 by the BBC...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-54096289

What next? Black Swimming Network; Black Polo/Dressage Network; Black Morris Dancers Network; etc. ?

Coz those white people are really scary and different (don't look like us/ make us feel uncomfortable!), seems to be the explanation/excuse.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Banned
    [QUOTE=Llani Boy;666199)

There is something happening in this country that is going to backfire, big style, before very long.[/QUOTE]

Good prediction, the media is not helping. And they are miles off gauging the feeling of the public.

What on earth is the BBC thinking by spending £25,000+ a week on Zoe Ball.

The BBC and especially the licence fee has had its day.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    What on earth is the BBC thinking by spending £25,000+ a week on Zoe Ball.

The BBC and especially the licence fee has had its day.
    They are working on the gender pay gap - I just don't know how Lineker is going to survive.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    I don’t watch TV but Alan Shearer is doing well judging by what the Mail claim he’s getting unless he’s turned into a considerably better analyst than he used to be, plus has developed a personality

Lauren Laverne looked about the best value to me. I wouldn’t employ Zoe Ball for hospital radio
    Poacher turned game-keeper