Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap the BBC

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I listen to that program and that statistic is rediculous. Does Farage and Brexiteer politicans get counted as one or one for each appearance?
    I don't understand your question. These are the number of guests that they counted between 2005 and 2015. That was pre-referendum admittedly but still a scandalously low figure given the level of euro-scepticism there has been for years

When I listed to Brexiteer politicians being interviewed by BBC presenters they are often treated with hostility compared to those of a remain perspective. Good article here. Whether you agree with the sentiments of the piece or not, there is an actual transcript of Today's Julian Webb's interview with Nigel Farage following the euro election at the bottom so you can judge for yourself.

https://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/...-remain-mania/

I listened to Nicky Campbell interview Farage after last weeks Peterborough by-election. Campbell wanted to ask Farage about Ann Widdicombe's gay therapy comments but just talked all over him, not allowing him to answer properly.

Just a shame he wasn't interested in speaking to the victorious Labour candidate about her grotesquely anti-semitic views.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 11-06-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    survey periods between 2005 and 2015, only 132 (3.2 per cent) were supporters of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.
    You can't seriously try to claim that 96.8% of people interviewed on the Today Program are pro-remain. In the multitude of lies, bandied about by everybody, related to Brexit even that takes some beating.
    What criteria are they using to put people into either camp?

June Spencer who plays Peggy Archer in radio 4 The Archers, is 100 years old this Friday. She has been playing the part since the first episode in 1950.

Money well spent, you don't get that on commercial radio and TV!

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    You can't seriously try to claim that 96.8% of people interviewed on the Today Program are pro-remain. In the multitude of lies, bandied about by everybody, related to Brexit even that takes some beating.
    What criteria are they using to put people into either camp?
    How do you know this is a lie? Has it been disproved by anyone?

Obviously since the referendum there will be a higher percentage of brexiteers - although I imagine probably still a minority as we know happens with Question Time.

I suspect that when these people have been on the Today programme it will not always have been in the context of the UK leaving - it could for example have been about the euro crisis or other EU affairs. But for me it illustrates the mindset of the BBC and the type of people they want on. They don't want people on who are opposed to the EU.

They have details on their surveys on here.

http://news-watch.co.uk/monitoring-p...s-and-reports/

The BBC is an institution I'm proud of. The way it's funded means it can do things that commercial stations would not be prepared to.

I agree with the decision to ask old people to pay for a licence like younger people need to. But I think it's a politically unwise decision.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    How do you know this is a lie? Has it been disproved by anyone?

Obviously since the referendum there will be a higher percentage of brexiteers - although I imagine probably still a minority as we know happens with Question Time.

I suspect that when these people have been on the Today programme it will not always have been in the context of the UK leaving - it could for example have been about the euro crisis or other EU affairs. But for me it illustrates the mindset of the BBC and the type of people they want on. They don't want people on who are opposed to the EU.

They have details on their surveys on here.

http://news-watch.co.uk/monitoring-p...s-and-reports/
    Having just had a brief scan of some of the reports on this "news-watch" website (not just those related to EU/Brexit matters), it looks like a thoroughly partisan institution itself. The style of writing is rather reminiscent of Oracle of this parish!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Having just had a brief scan of some of the reports on this "news-watch" website (not just those related to EU/Brexit matters), it looks like a thoroughly partisan institution itself. The style of writing is rather reminiscent of Oracle of this parish!
    The Independent is not partisan at all I suppose. Well it says it is independent so it must be.

With regard to the veracity of the New-watch surveys I honestly don't know. The ones I've looked at seem to be detailed and technical.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 11-06-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Who is the BBC for nowadays? In my very limited world, the old people who watch TV all day because they are lonely or housebound just seem to watch Midsummer Murders and reruns of Only Fools and Horses and Last of the Summer Wine. Young people do all that Spotiflix stuff I understand, rather than the Beeb. So is this another case of the youth being asked to pay for the pleasures of the old? Maybe a reduced licence fee option for one channel limited to 1970s sit coms and Columbo for all pensioners could be a compromise. Or just ask Gary Lineker to share his salary out.

Who is the BBC for nowadays?
    well, six of the most watched TV shows were BBC...

https://tellymix.co.uk/ratings/35937...hows-2018.html

and they seem to rate quite highly in listing which include streaming services, too.
    https://www.theweek.co.uk/best-of-tv...r-and-hang-ups

So I guess they just make good telly.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

England v Sweden, Strictly Come Dancing, New Years Fireworks.

Good telly? I don't think so.

So I guess they just make good telly.[/QUOTE]
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog