Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap the BBC

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    1 to 4 above, Yeap - me too.

Thanks for the heads up about BBC Scotland and Roaming in the Wild. Found this on iplayer https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...doon-the-forth and it's on the list to watch tonight - cheers.
    Cheers Graham, hope you like it. Two lads having adventures with humour and also some profound comments. There are four or five episodes so far.
    Last edited by Mark G; 25-01-2021 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    So that will be Mank and The Trial Of The Chicago Seven for Hester and for you: Call My Agent?
    Call my agent, yep

Plus Schitt’s Creek (second time around)
    And Breaking Bad

Don't know what it will be like but a heads up for Life Of A Mountain - A Year On Helvellyn tomorrow night on BBC 4 at 9pm
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    University Challenge is the only thing i watch on BBC (in fact the only new thing that i watch on any tv apart from live sport).
    University Challenge was an ITV programme - probably before your time

Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Don't know what it will be like but a heads up for Life Of A Mountain - A Year On Helvellyn tomorrow night on BBC 4 at 9pm
    And Cameron McNeish on BBC Scotland tonight at 7.00 - walking (and biking and campervanning) up the west coast to Mallaig.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    And Cameron McNeish on BBC Scotland tonight at 7.00 - walking (and biking and campervanning) up the west coast to Mallaig.
    Thanks for the heads up. That was absolutely great in a brilliantly Scottish way. Cameron McNeish does exactly the same type of campervan pootling and wilderness exploring that we love doing

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Call my agent, yep
    Call My Agent is truly wonderful if you love French cinema - so in the birth scene in Series 3 the music is Georges Delerue's Grand Choral from Francois Truffaut's marvellous La Nuit Americaine which everyone in France will have recognised.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I don't get this Tom Moore thing.

The BBC are all over it again, I've even had to turn BBC Radio Derby off.

The truth is that his pushy family and a virtue signalling BBC have just gone overboard. He obviously had an ego and always wanted to be "on the telly" hence his appearance on Blankety Blank all those years ago.

A number 1 record (what a fantastic contribution to music that was), a book, a knighthood, an RAF flypast and the Union Flag at half mast on Downing Street. And a load of past it celebs coming out of the woodwork for a bit of publicity on the back of him.

Why not go the whole hog and have a State Funeral for him.

We are living in very strange times.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I don't hold anything whatsoever against him as a person, after all he was 100, do we really know how aware he was of the actual publicity... and who wouldn't jet off to the Caribbean given the chance...

However in relation to your points above, i think the fact that his daughter works (allegedly) in "brand development" is quite telling.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I don't get this Tom Moore thing.

The BBC are all over it again, I've even had to turn BBC Radio Derby off.

The truth is that his pushy family and a virtue signalling BBC have just gone overboard. He obviously had an ego and always wanted to be "on the telly" hence his appearance on Blankety Blank all those years ago.

A number 1 record (what a fantastic contribution to music that was), a book, a knighthood, an RAF flypast and the Union Flag at half mast on Downing Street. And a load of past it celebs coming out of the woodwork for a bit of publicity on the back of him.

Why not go the whole hog and have a State Funeral for him.

We are living in very strange times.
    Not since the days of Princess Diana have the media generated such hysteria over any one person!

Both Princess Diana and Captain Tom had their flaws (like all of us) but were basically well-intentioned people. I don't share your cynicism about his character, Llani Boy, but I do agree that the fuss being made around him is ridiculous.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges