Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: Scrap the BBC

What’s great about Twitter is that you have a direct line to anyone on there and can follow them or not and only if you want to. So I follow a fantastic bunch of comedians, wildlife fanatics, actors, film buffs, authors, artists, people that religiously post animals doing stupid things videos and, yeah, some political journalists, experts, scientists and pundits. I don’t really follow many politicians as most of them are bonkers

On Facebook, like Travs, it’s mainly friends and family, fell runners and outdoorsy people I’ve met over the years and interest groups (never ever politics). I don’t really post that much nowadays but it is a handle to stay in touch with people

I’m also on Instagram and post regularly there, keeping a picture blog I guess of whatever I fancy posting. I definitely don’t do the inspirational or the expert reviews or the motivational ‘do it like this’ stuff though. If anything my insta is more about how not to go about things.... with added nice pictures

The really great thing about Instagram is that it’s not really about chatting or discussing, it’s just about the pictures posted and you tend to follow people that post great pictures of things you you really like and get followed back (or not) exactly the same way.

I suspect posting on Twitter could be the electronic equivalent of hanging a sandwich board displaying your political views on the future of Northern Ireland around your neck and then visiting various random pubs in Belfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I suspect posting on Twitter could be the electronic equivalent of hanging a sandwich board displaying your political views on the future of Northern Ireland around your neck and then visiting various random pubs in Belfast.
    Exactly.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    where you are more likely faced with unhinged relatives AND FELLOW RUNNERS spouting bollocks and are far less likely to be able to find the actual opinion of experts
    Or walkers in my case at the moment:/
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Not since the days of Princess Diana have the media generated such hysteria over any one person!
    I don't know. I think George Floyd has had his fair share of newsfeed and column inches.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I don't know. I think George Floyd has had his fair share of newsfeed and column inches.
    I think it was more the fact he was needlessly killed by a policeman on camera rather than George Floyd himself. Not really analagous to 'old man walks round garden for charity', though I guess it depends on your point of view.
    Geoff Clarke

And perhaps Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    I think it was more the fact he was needlessly killed by a policeman on camera rather than George Floyd himself. Not really analagous to 'old man walks round garden for charity', though I guess it depends on your point of view.
    Captain Tom and Diana - apparent OTT reaction after they've gone. Not those themselves, a reflection on the MSM. I see similar with GF and it doesn't reflect on any of the individuals.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Capt Tom knocking and Twitter 'faux pas' all in one go!

https://news.sky.com/story/captain-s...alism-12208212
    Last edited by Mossdog; 05-02-2021 at 12:12 AM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Captain Tom and Diana - apparent OTT reaction after they've gone. Not those themselves, a reflection on the MSM. I see similar with GF and it doesn't reflect on any of the individuals.
    I think with Diana and Captain Tom the coverage was very much about them as people, with George Floyd he was emblematic of much broader issues, the column inches weren't about him per se. Obviously the OTTness of the coverage is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Capt Tom knocking and Twitter 'faux pas' all in one go!

https://news.sky.com/story/captain-s...alism-12208212
    To be fair he was a clap knocker rather than a Captain Tom knocker. Baffling why someone would post this and then remove it so quickly. It's not like you couldn't foresee it would get the reaction it did. The apology seems half-arsed at best as it's hard to imagine his opinion's actually changed.
    Geoff Clarke