Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: New PM

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Thank God for that.

Not that I believe him for one moment, so I'm afraid he'll be back. Oh well, at least we can enjoy the peace for the time-being.
    Well Oracle may have his obsessions but He who is without sin among you...

And anyone who can quote from:

On a dark night,
    Inflamed by love-longing -
    O exquisite risk! -
    Undetected I slipped away.
    My house, at last, grown still.
    Secure in the darkness,
    I climbed the secret ladder in disguise -
    O exquisite risk! -
    Concealed by the darkness.
    My house, at last, grown still.

(John of the Cross 1542 – 1591)

...cant be all bad.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 27-06-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

WP: I'm sorry, but this statement needs looking at:

recently Nazir Afzal, the prosecutor in the Rochdale case, advised how the Brown Government urged police forces across the UK not to investigate the grooming gangs.
    "‘as far as these young girls who are being exploited in towns and cities, we believe they have made an informed choice about their sexual behaviour and therefore it is not for you police officers to get involved in.’”
    UKIP made a number of FoI requests to the Home Office and various police forces and no evidence of the Circular/advice could be found. The Home Office response is here:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ponse.pdf.html
    and the Met Police's here:
    https://www.london.gov.uk/questions/2018/3142
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    WP: I'm sorry, but this statement needs looking at:

UKIP made a number of FoI requests to the Home Office and various police forces and no evidence of the Circular/advice could be found. The Home Office response is here:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ponse.pdf.html
    and the Met Police's here:
    https://www.london.gov.uk/questions/2018/3142
    I saw an interview on the with Nazir Afzal indicating there had been directions from the Home Office in 2008, but he didn't quote directly as the written article did.
    So perhaps the specifics are not correct, but the thrust of it seems to be.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Richard

Your post above is hilarious; you should try irony more often

This is a forum for fellrunners (they’re the people with studded shoes who run up and down hills). It is not an Oxbridge debating society or a right wing think tank (or left wing for that matter)

I am sure I’ve posted this before but I think the decline of the forum is a real shame. People have drifted away over the years and in several cases are no longer with us. I met my wife through the forum and most of the people involved in my 2011 Bob Graham here. It’s with a heavy heart I log on now, dreading to see a handful of posts with nothing, or very little about actual running, nothing to make me smile, very little actually posted by people I feel I’d actually like to meet and go for a run with (we used to do that too); just a handful of largely anonymous posters squabbling about politics in a wretched repetitive manner

I have not posted for a month and to be honest have no idea how to moderate what I see posted on here now; I wouldn’t know where to start apart from to ban discussing politics. I’m on another forum relating to a different hobby of mine. It’sinvite only. People use their own names. The moderators don’t have to moderate. Politics is strictly off limits. It’s a breath of fresh air. The forumites have fun and when you meet them in real life it’s great

Anyway I am signing off. Not this post but for good. Thanks for ruining the last vestiges of what used to be fun for many people too

Andrew
    Hilarious? I wouldn't have expected such an emotion to be aroused.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

I came on the forum over 10 years ago I think now, as a fell runner, who could actually run on the fells at that time.

I've contributed to a large number of Fell Running threads and also other threads related to fell running or general endurance running.

I don't mind the political topics or other "Down the Pub" stuff and regaulr engage with them.

I hope I do it in a constructive way, occasionally get a bit sarcy, but the tone of some contributions has been an issue for me.

Disappointment That's mostly what I feel. That we cannot just debate without the angst. Some of the posts feel as if their being spat out venomously.

AS for people who leave the forum, that's their choice. No one is forced on to a particular thread. I think the real issue is that new people aren't coming on so much to replace those that drop off.

I hope I can get back on the hills a bit more so I can engage more in the event based discussions.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I saw an interview on the with Nazir Afzal indicating there had been directions from the Home Office in 2008
    I've tried really quite hard to find this, but can only find this, where he doesn't mention it.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06pbs8q

There are various versions of the "Home Office directions not to prosecute" story, but they don't seem to be supported by the evidence, including the FoI requests I mentioned earlier. It's is, however, certainly true that Nazir Afzal re-opened the Rochdale inquiry after it was badly botched by the CPS and has gone on to successfully prosecute grooming gangs and other child exploitation cases.

edited to add:
    the story seems to have been broken by AltNewsMedia, here:
    https://www.altnewsmedia.net/politic...f-young-girls/

it's a little suspicious that such a claim wasn't picked up by the mainstream media as it would have certainly warranted further investigation. I can't find any mention of this in any of the "regular" media, regardless of political perspective.
    Last edited by Dave_Mole; 27-06-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

That is quite an explosive accusation, amazing the media did not go to town on it if true.

Similar events happened in Rotherham. Scandalous that a "blind eye" was turned in the name of not upsetting the Muslim community.

And what is worse, it is still going on.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I also fail to see the appeal of logging into a fellrunning forum, to then spend your time arguing about politics (or in some cases, become a forum member with the apparent sole intention of arguing about politics).

Surely there are political forums where you can bicker until the cows come home...?

But then I’d estimate about 10% of my posts on here are bitching about the state of football these days, so I guess I can’t complain too strongly...

It is the annual Pennine Fell Runners relay race from Ladybower Reservoir back to Hayfield tonight, it's going to be a bitch with the hot sticky weather.

Sorry to hear this DT, you'll be missed around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Richard

Anyway I am signing off. Not this post but for good. Thanks for ruining the last vestiges of what used to be fun for many people too

Andrew
    Do what you like, like what you do