Like most things mole: I know a great deal more than you
    so, what's a gluon, then?
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    The question you should be asking is "is a gluon"

Before ask "what is a gluon"

So whether a gluon is real, or whether it gluon is just the name of a model of something that is real, and whether that model even works. Coming to which is a quark real, without which the question of "is a gluons" is made superflous. Spot the physicist who has spent some time considering the rational explanations.

Spot the physicist who has spent some time considering the rational explanations.
    I'll keep a look out, let you know when I see one

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Like most things mole: I know a great deal more than you: because I look at both sides of an argument....
    Oh Oracle I do so like you!

I just wish you had found space somewhere else to comment on the Woodford scandal. Then I could have said that I interviewed him (*), on behalf of Hargreaves-Lansdown, for Moneywise magazine after which I had a very pleasant lunch with Mark Dampier (also in the news recently) and Woodford in Henley on the banks of the Thames.

Woodford's downfall illustrates a common fallacy - that being good at one thing does not mean you will be good at another.

* I may be just a simple engineer but I know how many beans make five.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 25-06-2019 at 08:49 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    I'll keep a look out, let you know when I see one
    When you see a rational explanation. You are welcome to try. Doubt it you find one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Oh Oracle I do so like you!

I just wish you had found space somewhere else to comment on the Woodford scandal. Then I could have said that I interviewed him (*), on behalf of Hargreaves-Lansdown, for Moneywise magazine after which I had a very pleasant lunch with Mark Dampier (also in the news recently) and Woodford in Henley on the banks of the Thames.

Woodford's downfall illustrates a common fallacy - that being good at one thing does not mean you will be good at another.

* I may be just a simple engineer but I know how many beans make five.

Woodford is a salutary lesson. Not just as a successful manager of funds, who found his midas touch desert him (which happens). It was also clear that not all was right. I bought into "patient capital", but then his managers started leaving with no explanation, and as a result, so did I.

The real lesson has nothing to do with him or that fund, but all to do with how it crashed..
    The real lesson is that the entire financial edifice is held up on a slender thread of confidence. The newspaper report that triggers a small bank queue, within days had become queues at all the banks and finally came the great crash and depression.

The loss of confidence on woodfords fund fed off itself, and the illiquidity of it , destroyed it completely, when it was never "that bad" an investment. It was just having a rough time but suffered a dramatic loss of confidence. Many funds are just as illiquid. Take commercial property funds. The entire financial system is unstable because of reliance on small margins of liquidity and collateral propped up only by confidence, which easily evaporates!

Now imagine.
    All the italian banks are propped up on italian sovereign bond (and a big percentage of none peforming debts) They really are illiquid and as an asset class they are junk. Woodfords investments are A rated in comparison.

It is only EU rules (One of the most insane of EU laws, despite there being many EU Laws vying for the title insane) it is only ECB rules that give them the bonds any notional value. It would take but a tiny loss of confidence to collapse all those banks, and that would collapse deutsche (in desparate straights) and french banks. Our own banks are exposed to the french banks. The entire worthless edifice comes crashing down round all their unworthy heads.

Nobody would be spared. Even so called "defined benefit pensions" would find the benefits less defined when all this reaches its logical consequence. If actual cuts don't happen, hyperinflation will devalue them just as well.

Out of curiosity what is woodford like?
    Last edited by Oracle; 25-06-2019 at 09:16 PM.

When you see a rational explanation.
    unlikely in your posts, I know, but I'll keep a look out, just the same.

Banned
    unlikely in your posts, I know, but I'll keep a look out, just the same.
    You will never see a rational explanation of gluons in one of my posts! Modern physics has disappeared up its own philosophical rectum in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post

Out of curiosity what is woodford like?
    I had the opportunity to interview him when Perpetual High Income was at the bottom of the league tables and TMT stocks were all the rage. I was an investor in PHI and also (as an ex-Personnel Manager) knew how to interview people. The interview lasted 55 minutes and the video recording was on the HL website for a long time.

Woodford was amenable but convinced he was right. He was contemptuous of those investing in what I had termed "glitzy" stocks. He compared it to a "religious cult". "It will end in tears - there will be blood on the streets".

I think it was the first time I had heard phrases such as the "greater fool theory".

He said "This (TMT) momentum will crack and the idiot in the queue will be handed a bomb, not a present" - so not a man crippled by self-doubt - as we have recently seen. I have followed his career since that day and his recent travails seem to be in character with the man I met, although then he was investing in "old world" stocks (Oils, pharma. Rolls Royce) that were somewhat more liquid than his current holdings.

Anyway I had a nice day out and was sent a case of very decent wine by HL as thanks; and Neil Woodford went on to make £millions!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    8 pints