Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 110

Thread: Var

  1. #1
    Senior Member Daletownrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Out Running
    Posts
    912

    Var

    The devils work

  2. #2
    Master Stagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Its a secret!
    Posts
    9,884
    Works well in cricket and both codes of rugby.

    Football has a cheating culture at all levels, which is why it's not liked.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Over Haddon
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Works well in cricket and both codes of rugby.

    Football has a cheating culture at all levels, which is why it's not liked.
    Agree Stagger but in addition to that, the the refereeing and interpretation of the rules is too sloppy, ie foul throws, taking a free kick from the wrong place, the ball not placed in the corner quadrant and as Scotland found out the hard way, the goalkeeper leaving her line before a penalty has been taken.
    The last offence mentioned can be seen week in week out on MOTD and no one mentions it not least the dozy linesman stood pretending to be interested and not having the balls to raise his flag.
    Next season is going to be a nightmare with VAR causing more arguments over decisions even though the vast majority will be correct.
    Footballers have got away with not playing by the rules, some of them probably not even knowing all of them, for too long and are in for a shock. Poor things!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

  4. #4
    Senior Member Daletownrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Out Running
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Agree Stagger but in addition to that, the the refereeing and interpretation of the rules is too sloppy, ie foul throws, taking a free kick from the wrong place, the ball not placed in the corner quadrant and as Scotland found out the hard way, the goalkeeper leaving her line before a penalty has been taken.
    The last offence mentioned can be seen week in week out on MOTD and no one mentions it not least the dozy linesman stood pretending to be interested and not having the balls to raise his flag.
    Next season is going to be a nightmare with VAR causing more arguments over decisions even though the vast majority will be correct.
    Footballers have got away with not playing by the rules, some of them probably not even knowing all of them, for too long and are in for a shock. Poor things!

    I think the main issue is, that as the play is stopped, the tension rises, never mind causing arguments, it’ll cause riots.

  5. #5
    Master wheezing donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    A Bowland Bog
    Posts
    2,676
    When I spotted the title of this thread, I was expecting it to be all about those excellent, French, plastic tyre levers for bicycles.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

  6. #6
    Master Wheeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Monmouth
    Posts
    6,574
    I'm not a football fan but I observe that one of the main qualities of the game is its constant flowing nature. VAR degrades that. I think the authorities need to think harder about how to integrate VAR so it does not interfere with the flow. In rugby we have the TMO who gives the ref the outcome of the query. This can take ages with multiple camera angles to see the ball under a mass of bodies. In soccer, it seems much more clear cut. Goal/no goal. Offside/onside. These decisions could be quickly given whilst the goalie is picking the ball out of the net. So why not have a TMO who can almost instantly tell ref if goal is good or not? Penalty decisions can also be given whilst players are preparing to take kick when there is a natural interruption in the flow. The on-pitch ref should not need to run over to a monitor!
    I am Kuno....

  7. #7
    Master DrPatrickBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marple, Manchester
    Posts
    2,850
    I find this so pathetic. A team spends four years preparing and getting to the world cup final and score the winning goal, but have it disallowed. People then complain about waiting three or four minutes finding out that it was valid and having the initial decision overuled.

    Somebody mentioned the Scotland penalty, yes goalies got away with breaking the rules, which the Scottish goalkeeper clear did, but now they can't becasue of VAR, that is not VAR's fault. That is almost like complaining about a very fit refereed with good eyesight that is able to keep up with the play and picks up on fouls. Oh if he had been too fat and stood at the other end of the pitch he would not have seen that foul and the game would have continued without interruption.

    Maybe with VAR the English would not still be complaining about "the hand of god" 33 years later.

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    When I spotted the title of this thread, I was expecting it to be all about those excellent, French, plastic tyre levers for bicycles.
    . . . or the Département in Provence.

    Anyway, I would be lost without my Var425 tyre lever; with my weak fingers I would be completely unable to get a tyre back onto the wheel after mending a puncture.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

  9. #9
    Master Stagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Its a secret!
    Posts
    9,884
    Soccer is more stop start than American football.

    Very rare do you get 30 seconds actual ball in play.

    Time it.

    VAR is great

  10. #10
    Master Wheeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Monmouth
    Posts
    6,574
    Last time I went to American football play suddenly stopped for no apparent reason. Local expert advised me it was a tv ad break. 10 mins later play resumed. Tell me that happens in soccer!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •