Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Var

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    You only have to look back to the 90’s..... correct me if I’m wrong, but weren’t Swindon and Spurs both reprimanded for “financial irregularities”..... Swindon were demoted two divisions, whilst Spurs got away Scot-free...... hypocrisy of the highest order.
    Swindon's punishment (in 1990) was reduced to one division on appeal. As they'd just been promoted through the play-offs it meant they ended up staying where they were.

Tottenham (in 1994) were initially deducted 12 points and thrown out of the FA Cup. On appeal this was overturned although their fine was increased from £600k to £1.5 million.

I can't remember the precise transgressions or seriousness in either case.

Generally though there seems to be absolutely no consistency in the punishments that the FA/Football League dish out for offences.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    That reminds me that the annual Clare Balding and Andy Murray love fest fortnight is about to start.
    Someone at my wife's tennis club got some complimentary tickets for Wimbledon, and gave my wife two of them. So we are going to be down there on the Monday of the second week.

Anyway, Llani, thanks for warning me that we might be subjected to the sight of Clare Balding and Andy Murray making love.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Someone at my wife's tennis club got some complimentary tickets for Wimbledon, and gave my wife two of them. So we are going to be down there on the Monday of the second week.

Anyway, Llani, thanks for warning me that we might be subjected to the sight of Clare Balding and Andy Murray making love.
    New balls please!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Much of the problem can be laid at the door of terrestrial TV which ignores the big sports and throws its money away at minority sports such as tennis, snooker and women's football.
    What's the definition of a minority sport? Almost 8 million watched the match live last night...

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    What's the definition of a minority sport? Almost 8 million watched the match live last night...
    Only because the BBC are shoving it down our throats.

Also, do you really believe the viewing figures?

I think tennis is a great sport. I play it at a very low level and have the greatest respect for the strength, stamina, co-ordination, flexibity, tactical nous and indefatigable determination of those who play it professionally. Wimbledon fortnight is one of the highlights of the year for me. I could do without Baldilocks but McEnroe has to be one of the best commentators of any sport.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I think tennis is a great sport. I play it at a very low level and have the greatest respect for the strength, stamina, co-ordination, flexibity, tactical nous and indefatigable determination of those who play it professionally. Wimbledon fortnight is one of the highlights of the year for me. I could do without Baldilocks but McEnroe has to be one of the best commentators of any sport.
    I agree about McEnroe and also like Michael Johnson commenting on Athletics. Both American and both tell it how it is which is why I like them. None of this mushy, plucky Brit shit about someone who came runner-up/reached the semi final and is treated like a hero with their arse pocket stuffed with lottery money.

Only because the BBC are shoving it down our throats

Also, do you really believe the viewing figures?
    Nobody is forced to watch it!

I’m sure the figures aren’t made up

Attitudes have got to change, the women who play the game are as determined, professional and committed as anyone in sport, they deserve support not derision, 1970s attitudes have no place anywhere, anymore.

France v USA a cracking watch

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Nobody is forced to watch it!
    It was an idiotic comment that did not deserve a reply