Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Var

In addition, tennis has been able to absorb it's own version of VAR and make it part of the spectacle. Everyone loves Hawkeye!

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Nobody is forced to watch it!

I’m sure the figures aren’t made up

Attitudes have got to change, the women who play the game are as determined, professional and committed as anyone in sport, they deserve support not derision, 1970s attitudes have no place anywhere, anymore.
    I have seen a little of the WWC and am impressed with some of the skills and technique of many of the players but it is a different game to the men’s, especially with the lack of tackling. However with regards to cynical play ie diving it is better, but that will change.

My gripe is that the BBC is making it out to be the same and as good as the men’s game, which it is not. This was summed up by the retired MOTD commentator Barry Davies on Radio 4 today saying that at least two of the England players were good enough to play for the men’s team. Come on.

If saying that Women’s Football is a different game to the Mens, as is Women’s and Men’s Tennis/Golf, a 1970’s attitude the so be it

If they are of the same standard and skill why do they not play together?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I have seen a little of the WWC and am impressed with some of the skills and technique of many of the players but it is a different game to the men’s, especially with the lack of tackling. However with regards to cynical play ie diving it is better, but that will change.

My gripe is that the BBC is making it out to be the same and as good as the men’s game, which it is not. This was summed up by the retired MOTD commentator Barry Davies on Radio 4 today saying that at least two of the England players were good enough to play for the men’s team. Come on.

If saying that Women’s Football is a different game to the Mens, as is Women’s and Men’s Tennis/Golf, a 1970’s attitude the so be it

If they are of the same standard and skill why do they not play together?

They don’t play together because at present we have Women’s football and we have Men’s football, they are different in the same way that women’s and men’s marathon are different, they should be accorded equal airtime, your attitude that women’s football is a minority sport that is being rammed down our throats and shouldn’t be accorded equal airtime stinks, I have two daughters who I am immensely proud of, they are should be able to do whatever they choose to do in life without prejudice in the same way that anyone should no matter what their gender.

I’ve got to agree in principle with Llani Boy here I’m afraid...

The general standard is poor.... people argue that “well league 1 and 2 is poor and people don’t moan about that”, but League 1 and 2 football isn’t being force-fed on prime time BBC and constant Radio.

I’m all for it being broadcast and good luck to any present (and indeed future) players of the women’s game. In fact I was a big supporter of our girls football team when I was at secondary school (the fact that at the time they were one of the top girls teams in the country might have helped a little!)

But the BBC’s assertion that the Women’s World Cup is a high standard tournament and thrilling spectacle is just not in line with reality.

Without wanting to pour petrol on the bonfire.... there already appears to be enough bickering in this section of the forum.... but why is nothing made of the lack of black/mixed-race women in the European, and especially the England side... if this was a men’s tournament the BBC would be all over that subject like a rash...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I’ve got to agree in principle with Llani Boy here I’m afraid...

The general standard is poor.... people argue that “well league 1 and 2 is poor and people don’t moan about that”, but League 1 and 2 football isn’t being force-fed on prime time BBC and constant Radio.

I’m all for it being broadcast and good luck to any present (and indeed future) players of the women’s game. In fact I was a big supporter of our girls football team when I was at secondary school (the fact that at the time they were one of the top girls teams in the country might have helped a little!)

But the BBC’s assertion that the Women’s World Cup is a high standard tournament and thrilling spectacle is just not in line with reality.

Without wanting to pour petrol on the bonfire.... there already appears to be enough bickering in this section of the forum.... but why is nothing made of the lack of black/mixed-race women in the European, and especially the England side... if this was a men’s tournament the BBC would be all over that subject like a rash...
    I didn’t say the standard was the same, I said that the women’s game should be afforded the same level of exposure as the men’s game, in that way it will encourage a steady flow of girls into the game who’ll see clear role models from similar backgrounds to themselves excelling in a sport that has historically been a preserve of men.

That's an entirely fair point... But could this not be argued for most sports.... What about basketball... Which I understand has the highest levels of participation for any team sport in the country (excepting football) yet gets an absolute pittance of coverage...

Indeed, closer to home, what about the great sports like cross-country running and athletics, which barely get a mention unless it's a major championship.

Of course the women's world Cup should get coverage... But it seems to me that the coverage awarded is far and above the actual interest levels... How are the TV companies going to cope once the men's season gets back underway, because now the women's football has been given the limelight, its going to be very hard for them to give it a back seat come August and September.

I also wonder why, if the men's and womens game is separated, why the women's Brazil team wear 5 stars on their shirt...

I’ve been mulling this topic over, I believe that one of the best gifts we can give a child is sport, my father gifted it to me, and here I am at 50 still with a lip on if a 20 year old sticks it to me on a club night women’s football has raised the profile of women’s sport in general, it gives young lasses something to aspire to, something that they can see that young lasses, just like themselves have achieved, it’s still a relatively new sport in professional terms, the new batch of young players are coming through at a different level, things can only get better.
    Mrs DTR and me ran past a little all weather pitch last Sunday morning, a bunch of girls and boys, I would say under 10’s we’re having a kick around with a coach, it was great to see, in the past it’s likely it would just have been the lads, those kids may go on to play football, they may do other things, I do know that the love of sport fostered by the fella coaching them, I would say for nowt but the love of it, will set them in good stead to carry sport with them throughout their lives, they may play football, the may run etc etc.
    Nobody should criticise any sport that kids can watch and can pick up at a grass roots level and keep with them, I think the last time I went to Man City ladies it was twenty quid a family, it was full of all ages, no trouble, no bad language, just a great afternoon out, be positive, let’s face it the TV is crap most of the time anyway so no one is missing much...

and surely the Women’s England team with its diverse mix (and I agree Travs, not diverse enough at present but exposure will help this) are a better role model for young girls than some of the over plumped folk they come across on ‘The only way is Geordie love Island’ or some of the sorry cases they see on Britain’s got Talent who think that their life is over when their plate spinning or ferret wrangling act gets rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Indeed, closer to home, what about the great sports like cross-country running and athletics, which barely get a mention unless it's a major championship.
    My interest in athletics came from watching Grandstand in the 70s when I was 5-15 and it's the main reason I know of runners like Julian Goater and Mick McLeod.

I've been banging on about the lack of national level athletics in any form on TV these days. It seems the BBC is only interested in Mo Farah or fancy dress events.

Even Sky now has withdrawn from covering the Inter Counties XC.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    and surely the Women’s England team with its diverse mix (and I agree Travs, not diverse enough at present but exposure will help this) are a better role model for young girls than some of the over plumped folk they come across on ‘The only way is Geordie love Island’ or some of the sorry cases they see on Britain’s got Talent who think that their life is over when their plate spinning or ferret wrangling act gets rejected.
    I agree with you too DTR so perhaps we can lie down in the darkened room together!

It is just the way the BBC is selling the WWC as something it is not that was my gripe, not the participation of women in any sport.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog