Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Var

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    My interest in athletics came from watching Grandstand in the 70s when I was 5-15 and it's the main reason I know of runners like Julian Goater and Mick McLeod.

I've been banging on about the lack of national level athletics in any form on TV these days. It seems the BBC is only interested in Mo Farah or fancy dress events.

Even Sky now has withdrawn from covering the Inter Counties XC.
    Grandstand and was it World of Sport that would occasionally play a quick 10 minutes of the Paris Roubaix, I also seem to recall the Blois Chaville when Fignon crashed Unfortunately in a world now obsessed with celebrity they are always going to show Mo, the plus being that little folk may seem him and want to emulate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I agree with you too DTR so perhaps we can lie down in the darkened room together!

It is just the way the BBC is selling the WWC as something it is not that was my gripe, not the participation of women in any sport.
    Ha nice one it’s just the modern BBC, Oh to have a commentator like Coleman that’s what modern sport lacks

Germany defeated and knocked out. Women or men, it’s always good to see. 😆

Football is only the most popular women's team sport on the country, why shouldn't it get loads of coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Ha nice one it’s just the modern BBC, Oh to have a commentator like Coleman that’s what modern sport lacks

Not many finishes to a distance race better than that. As the great man would say, Extraordinary!

Going down memory lane I recall lining up with the likes of Steve Jones, John Wild, Julian Goater etc in RAF Cross Country champs. Only ever saw their backs in the distance!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 29-06-2019 at 08:28 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Not many finishes to a distance race better than that. As the great man would say, Extraordinary!

Going down memory lane I recall lining up with the likes of Steve Jones, John Wild, Julian Goater etc in RAF Cross Country champs. Only ever saw their backs in the distance!
    ‘Jones looking for trouble and the trouble is there’ classic

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Germany defeated and knocked out. Women or men, it’s always good to see. ��
    Roll on the USA it’ll either be a cracker or an nightmare

Same here Llani! Used to go training with Roger Hackney. That sorted me out!! Mindyou I did manage to draft Colin Donnelly into a 4 man team for St Valentines Day Massacre.....we did rather well!

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Football is only the most popular women's team sport on the country, why shouldn't it get loads of coverage?
    Participation doesn't mean spectators and TV coverage.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Participation doesn't mean spectators and TV coverage.
    You could say that about a lot of sports. How many "popular" olympic sports would have very few spectators outside of the olympics. There are so many sports that the general population has no interest in except for two weeks every four years or annually (Wimbleton, British Golf Open, etc).

The BBC have managed to "manufacture" interest in Tennis, Track Cycling, Gynmastics, etc,etc. If they were not on Free to Air TV would anybody care about them?

There are so many sports I have lost interest in becasue they have gone to Pay-to-View, and I am not interested enough to do so.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 01-07-2019 at 08:12 AM.