Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strangest Prizes

I've seen similar things at a few races. Firstly Andy Moore, who used to organise Burbage Skyline gave a prize for the first person over 13 stone. I think it was 4 pints and he normally won it.

Secondly, there was a prize for the first person over 200lb (about 14 stone 4) at Ted's birthday race: runners and riders this year. There was a set of scales there for people to prove it at the registration desk. When I queried it the guy said it's a common thing in the US. I think, as with Andy Moore, he was looking forward to taking the prize.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Once at the Coniston Fell Race, I was at the prizegiving but not paying much attention, when I suddenly heard my name being called out. My prize (a rather nice mug made at a local pottery) was for the person who had travelled the furthest. I think it was on the basis of my Thames Hare & Hounds membership, although in fact I had travelled a similar distance from the opposite direction: I was living in St. Andrews at the time.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Prizes for furthest travelled are great. Reflects the effort the individual has made (unless they were holidaying in the area). We once had a Japanese exchange student staying with us. I took him to a fell race as he was keen to learn all he could about British culture. He ran the race and was awarded the prize for furthest travelled, much to the chagrin of a Finnish couple who thought they were a shoe-in for the prize!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

-As RD, I gave the winner a nice fresh Trout as a prize at the Neuadd Skyline race in S.Wales.
    Mind you, it had been in the boot of my car most of the day.

Nicely kippered then!🤣

Some 11 years ago, in the spring of 2008, 6 of us went down to run in the Llangynhafal Loop in the Clwydians, organised by Welsh Harrier of this parish; all part & parcel of the stag do of one of our mate's. The prize giving was just something else, in the back bar of the Golden Lion. Each prize winner was invited to take their choice from a table containing a very random selection of "items" ..... including a "pre-loved" garden gnome, which was eagerly claimed by one prize winner!
    We later enjoyed an excellent pub meal followed by a very convivial evening in the bar, the landlord allowing us to park camper vans / pitch tents on the lawn behind the pub. We awoke on the Sunday morning to 3 inches of snow.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

On a very hot day at the Grasmere Gallop and looking forward to a family day out after the race I won a frozen turkey. We insulated it with the tartan knee rug that my wife won and it survived.
    One step beyond.