Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strangest Prizes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Strangest Prizes

Some time in the early 80's, when I wasn't attending Gary Glitter gigs, I came second in the Clee Hill Fell Race. My prize was an ashtray. Yes, an ashtray, but a very nice ashtray!

Apparently all the prizes had been provided by a local potter.

After the prize giving I went back to my Rover TC2000, which my dad had lent me, and sparked up a pack of No6.(I made the last bit up)
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I won a bar of soap at the Box hill fell race, think I won an age category. I needed the soap after the race.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Back to Shropshire . . . The Wrekin Fell Race in 1989 must have had some generous sponsorship: for coming 9th I got a set of cutlery.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Banned
    I've seen toilet rolls, ironing board cover and a dust pan and brush at the Blackstone Edge race.
    Kevin Shand was the super efficient organiser and a good bloke too.

First 3 Peaks Yacht race one of the prizes was a garden spade and fork, to be shared somehow among a crew of five. Meeting Bill Tillman at the prizegiving was the real reward.

Dandelion weeder at Burnsall (mrs noel, not me). It was actually very useful.

Not a prize I’ve received but when I organised my 10K, the prize for the course record was based upon the time run, so 35.30 would give you 35 quid and 30 pence, so in effect the quicker someone ran, the less they got, in keeping with the spirit of competition I thought and always went down well

Like it! When I organised my race I used to give a rear bicycle light to the last finisher....the "feu rouge"!

Doesn't Selwyn Wright provide a crate of beer to the 'fattest man in the race' at Blisco - normally pre-determined as someone in cahoots, though I heard one year scales were in evidence for a weigh-off!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

In the old Dockray Helvellyn race, years ago, I received a prize from Joe Faulkner for being the most average person in the race - finishing exactly in the middle of the results.

But Kevin Shand is the king of unusual prizes. I've had dog food, a mug tree, a frisbee and once a bunch of bananas as a team prize over the years at Turnslack and Blackstone Edge.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"