Thread: Campervan

Campervan

I've ALWAYS wanted to have a campervan. For family holiday etc.
    I just think they are super cool.
    So far I've been put off by the cost. Purchase, tax, maintenance etc.
    Anyone has cool stories to share?
    Cheers,

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I have numerous stories to share - probably too many for this forum to take!

Buying a campervan is one of the best decisions I ever made. We have had many a happy holiday, weekend break or even just a daytrip. We keep a basic supply of food etc in the van at all times so we can just jump in a head off whenever we feel like it.

If you are thinking about a buying, I suggest you hire one for a week and see how you get on. It really is the best way to determine exactly what you need if you go on to make a purchase. Do you really need all those optional extras?
    Purchase price, tax and insurance can be costly - equally as much in annual terms to what you would probably spend on holidays. However, what you are really buying is not just a vehicle - it is a lifestyle and the freedom to camp in relative comfort virtually anywhere.

Maintenance shouldn't be too costly on a newer van. They are mostly converted from a commercial vehicle base so are built to be a workhorse and so should have no problem doing the kind of miles you are likely to throw at it. My VW also has a 2 year service interval so that cuts down the servicing cost somewhat.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Similar to PeteS, lots of stories mostly based around coming back from Scotland via the RAC,but ours is an ageing T4. However it has been a godsend for days out, races, holidays and moving student/offspring lock stock and barrel. It also is stocked with basics so can be used at the drop of a hat....though it is just about to have its MOT done and pretty sure this one won't be a cheap one to pass!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Master
    Pretty much as Pete and Chris except my van is a 1987 VW T3 which I have owned and maintained myself for around 20 years. Scotland is a Favourite Destination these days but our van has travelled to places like Vietnam, France Spain. Switzerland Ireland Isle of man and all over this fantastic island of ours, in fact I think it is fair to say it has served us well and we use it at every opportunity in fact there are not many weeks that it is not used.

It is pretty basic but fully functional and comfortable it is small enough for us to be pretty unobtrusive when we wild camp in some hidden gem of a beauty spot.
    We added a Cobb several years ago which allows us to really push the culinary boat out should we have the desire to.

The van is a Dual fuel vehicle in as much as we mostly run it on LPG which is more environmentally friendly and half the price of petrol,another + point is our van is appreciating in value and has long since re-paid it`s debt to the environment for its manufacturing carbon footprint.

I personally would not swop my van for a more modern one because it is simple to work on and all it ever costs me is parts because my labour is free plus I like to know exactly what is being done to my van and working on it myself allows me to see any future potential problems and to take the opportunity to carry out some preventive maintenance.

Whatever you go for have fun
    Last edited by JohnK; 19-07-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

All this talk of campervans has cheered up a rather wet and miserable afternoon here.
    We're off to the Lakes next weekend in the van - running Kentmere on Sunday but will go up Thursday for a few days walking beforehand. Fell races are soooo much better with a van!

Then it's off to Scotland (again!) next month for 2 weeks - Skye, Uists, Harris and Lewis this year.

Looking forward to both trips immensely and will no doubt have some more weekends away in the van before the year is out.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    All this talk of campervans has cheered up a rather wet and miserable afternoon here.
    We're off to the Lakes next weekend in the van - running Kentmere on Sunday but will go up Thursday for a few days walking beforehand.

Fell races are soooo much better with a van!

Then it's off to Scotland (again!) next month for 2 weeks - Skye, Uists, Harris and Lewis this year.

Looking forward to both trips immensely and will no doubt have some more weekends away in the van before the year is out.
    Yep a camper is a big boost for running I even lowered my van by 60mm when I got into ultra`s just to accommodate sore/stiff limbs.

Enjoy your trips
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Yep a camper is a big boost for running I even lowered my van by 60mm when I got into ultra`s just to accommodate sore/stiff limbs.
    Ha! Nice one. 👍
    I use the roof bed for post run stretching and foam roller.

I'd say "Just get one"

We went from small tents > medium tents >large tents > caravan

The caravan was a bind and I thought I'd look at VW campers - so I looked and found one, said to Sue that I was going to look at one, she said don't buy it cos we don't need one.

I bought it (took all the savings) - first weekend away with small boys Sue said "good call"!!

Had some form of camper for nearly 30 years now. In fact am typing this from the camper in a field near Preston

Do your research on vans, lay out, engine size, makes models. Have a look at campervans whilst at races and talk to owners ask their pro and cons. Initial outlay may be expensive, especially if not using it as an everyday vehicle (like us )but think of the benefits...
    You will not regret buying a campervan

The ground becomes a lot harder to sleep on as you get older, most of us graduate from camping tent to campervan as age progresses .
    Had ours 2 years and best thing ever (22 year old model built on a transit), we were lucky to get it from a friend who never used it. Mainly used for my fishing trips, utter bliss after years of trying to sleep and cook in the back of a car - when wet and cold!