Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Paddy Buckley Round

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I’m still sulking but logged on to say well done ‘sticks lad
    Glad to see the back of "those" threads.

Master
    Glad you are back on. DT and the forum are like hand in glove!

Good work Tindersticks! As always, a pleasure to read your prose!

I fancy trying this next year solo and unsupported. Is there enough water to get round and fill up as you go?

Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post
    I fancy trying this next year solo and unsupported. Is there enough water to get round and fill up as you go?
    This Wales you are talking about!
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Apparently Math Roberts missed Damien Hall's record by 6 minutes earlier in the week.

Galen Reynolds (Dragon's Back winner 2019) is currently on a fast one. Looks like a 15.5h schedule. As ever PB splits a bit random: http://live.opentracking.co.uk/galenonpaddyb20/

I saw somewhere that's he's being chased by a camera crew because apparently it's not worth starting unless you have a camera crew nowadays.

(fwiw OK with the Pennine Way guys being filmed, it's a national trail and more across the national psyche. The PB is just a bit of fell running esoterica, as is the BG and RR, and filming a record attempt seems a bit overkill)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    This Wales you are talking about!
    Good point. Another question if I want to start doing reccies are there obvious ways to split the route and get back to your car in one day?

You can do bits of one leg and bits of another to form loops.

Aberglaslyn over Moel Hebog, Y Garn, etc then down to the road then do Craig Wen of the next bit but rather than head up Snowdon drop down to Beddgelert.

The Llanberis Skyline would give you the Glyderau, but don't go over Tryfan and down to Ogwen but head to Pen y Pass, do Snowdon then Moel Cynghorion and along to Moel Eilio.

The Carneddau could be done as a loop from Helyg - down the road until you can cut up onto Pen yr Olau Wen, follow the route until back at the A5 then take the old road on the south of the A5 back from Capel Curig.

The Moelwyn are probably the most awkward to recce - I parked at Aberglaslyn and hitched up to Capel before running back.

The above loops would cover most of the route with just a few short sections missing.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post

The Moelwyn are probably the most awkward to recce - I parked at Aberglaslyn and hitched up to Capel before running back.
    Base yourself at Betws-y-Coed. Bus up to Capel Curig, run the PBR route to Moelwyn Mawr, drop down to Blaenau Ffestiniog for the train back to Betws. So you miss out on Cnicht, but you can do that another day from Aberglaslyn. And of course, by the time you have extricated yourself from the maze of bog and knolls between Siabod and the Moelwyns, it will be too late for the last train from Blaenau.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I think Math Roberts has just set a stunning new record for this
    Dave Woodhead reports
    Astonishing - Math Roberts of Calder Valley Fell Runners smashes The Paddy Buckley Round record, 61 miles across some of Wales’ most remote mountain tops, 47 peaks & 28,000ft in 16.37 nearly an hour off the previous record by Damian Hall 17.31