Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technical T Shirt odour

Technical T Shirt odour

Yes I know but, this has been puzzling me for some time.

I have a range of technical T shirts, the wicking ones.

Quality varies. I have a couple of nice quality ones I use for races or longer runs, and I have some mid price and some of the freebies picked up at races.

After a while, I can detect the whiff of BO within a minute of putting them on, so I get shut. I'm sure most running blokes are in the same boat.
    It's as if the body heat activates the remnants of some microbes.
    Some wash well and have been going for years and show no adverse signs.

The puzzle - I have about 3 of them that release the smell of honey. I put one on today, a Darwen Gala Fell race freebie.
    Within 2-3 minutes of setting off, that slight hint of honey smell started playing around my nostrils.

Am I alone?

I suspect I am
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Yep, I think you’re alone, all I get is eau de polecat, my running kit lives in the garage for this very reason, interestingly Mrs DTR doesn’t appear to smell at all and will quite happily bod along without raising a bead of sweat while I do a great impression of Niagara Falls

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    My wife always complains about the smell from my shoes when I've been running. Maybe my T-shirts aren't a problem because they aren't technical.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Now they would be called technical, but when I first started wearing Helly Hansen Lifa in the early eighties they absolutely stank, or at least I did. They used to be called, and sometimes still are Smelly Helly's.
    Still a great bit of kit with or without the "technical" sales pitch bollocks.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Now they would be called technical, but when I first started wearing Helly Hansen Lifa in the early eighties they absolutely stank, or at least I did. They used to be called, and sometimes still are Smelly Helly's.
    Still a great bit of kit with or without the "technical" sales pitch bollocks.
    Guaranteed to cut the nipples clear off a ya if I recall, my mother always used to try to iron my long sleeved one, hence it was like a melted string vest

I buy the cheap ones from Mountain Warehouse. I find no problem with them as long as they're washed after each use.

"Smelly Helly" - yes, we all put up with that. They always have that well known pungent aroma, particularly around the wrists (long sleeved variety). A bit of Domestos in with the wash helps (but not completely).

But if you think Helly Lifa's bad after a run, you want to try going on a caving expedition in a remote area, where washing isn't an option. Eau de dead polecat.

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Yep, I think you’re alone, all I get is eau de polecat, my running kit lives in the garage for this very reason, interestingly Mrs DTR doesn’t appear to smell at all and will quite happily bod along without raising a bead of sweat while I do a great impression of Niagara Falls
    Same with MrsWP. It's as if she hasn't any pores
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I too experience smelly running tops. Mrs Noel is particularly vexed about this when I return from a run and try to stand in the kitchen for a few minutes.

I've heard wool is less smelly, but that doesn't help much if you're looking for something to wear when it's hot.

On the subject of smelly shoes, I spray my lunchtime running shoes (which I keep in our shared office at work) with athletes foot spray and that really does the trick. So I conclude the smelly stuff in smelly shoes must be fungal.

Super Moderator
    https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/...2825-washes%29

Long link but worth trying. It works (perhaps used along side normal products)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/...2825-washes%29

Long link but worth trying. It works (perhaps used along side normal products)
    Have used this for some time - it works.