Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Fans

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Four Fans

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    There is a race near me called 4 Fans which I last did in 2017 and made a bit a hash of the nav. Its 12 miles of fairly steady climbing and bog trotting so nothing too arduous but it probably rewards good nav and steady raher than frantic work. I plan to give it a go and get a comparator with my 2017 time.
    I've just booked myself into the Youth Hostel down the road from the Storey Arms for the weekend of 27th July. Assuming sanity doesn't return in the next two weeks, you may see me on the Four Fans start line, Wheeze . . . and then you'll see me again, expiring face-down among the tussocks on Fan Llia or Fan Fawr.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I shall also be there.... after inadvertently getting myself in a decent position in the South Wales Champs, I’ve realised I need a 3rd counter, and I can’t do Brecon Beacons this year, so Four Fans it is...

Incidentally it covers large sections of ground that were covered on the South Wales Mtn Trial... it is indeed tussocky in places...!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

Incidentally it covers large sections of ground that were covered on the South Wales Mtn Trial... it is indeed tussocky in places...!
    My memory of the tussocks is from the more distant past: the Trans-Fan race in 1987. Oh, for the days when I could not merely contemplate, but actually finish, a race of 20 miles with 7000 feet of ascent!
    Jorge Luis Borges

Bugger! Just remembered I am away that weekend!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    I'm glad the weather forecast is showing a return to more reasonable temperatures by Saturday. This race will be fairly challenging for me, and there's no way I would want to attempt it in 30C heat.
    Jorge Luis Borges

As unpleasant as 30deg heat would be, I’d prefer anything that turns it away from a contest of athletic ability, and into a battle of attrition. So I’d like it hot!

Although I think the second half, against the grain of the land, on all those tussocks and awkward ground, will provide all the attrition I want, and I’ll probably be eating my words come the finish!

You most certainly will Travs!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Another great South Wales race. Must go in at the tougher end of medium races. The second half especially is hard graft, with very little in the way of paths, and plenty in the way of rough steep ground and tussocks.

Arrived early (even before the race organiser) to give plenty of time to warm up, and met the venerable Anthony Kay.... nice to meet you. Another warm day.... not in the same league as the rest of the week, but the sunburn on my shoulders and neck points to it being a warm one.

As for the race, the first climb was over relatively quickly, and I found myself summiting in 7th, with the leading 6 well away, and a few not too far behind me. I opted for the descent down to the Roman road, rather than reversing my tracks back to the Beacons Way. Unfortunately I made a right hash of this, hanging too far left, and found myself on some quite awful ground, in vegetation over my head, and plenty of unseen holes.

This only cost me a couple of minutes but I was now fuming, as I dropped at least one place, and as I found out a short time later, this gave some who had taken the other route a chance to catch and pass me, including Helen Brown (I really don’t need to be giving athletes of her calibre a head-start). Was now in about 11th or 12th.

Over the next two climbs I really pushed hard and fought my way back to 7th, and was confident I could hold those off behind me. I also noticed three of the leading group were coming back to me. Whether they were inexperienced and had gone off way too fast, or had just simply blown up, i passed them on the final climb, and put in a massive charge to give myself as big a head start down the final descent as possible.

In the event I had plenty in hand on the final descent and cruised in for a very pleasing 4th.... my best position ever, and probably my best performance too. I guess the training is slowly paying off... I don’t think I’ve ever felt so confident in my ability to put in several big “attacks” today...

Anthony I hope your foot is ok?

Today did get me thinking about the enjoyment of fellracing. Of course it is far more enjoyable than other forms of racing due to the locations, scenery, etc. But did I really enjoy the duration of the race? To try and compete near the sharper end of the race was incredibly hard work within about 5 minutes of starting, frustrating at times, and damn exhausting to put in a big effort over those final couple of climbs. The only time I really relaxed and enjoyed it was when I looked behind with several hundred yards to go and realised I’d nailed 4th.

A sad state to get into? Possibly. But the satisfaction for me always seems to come afterwards with knowing I pushed myself hard and got a reasonable result. I guess I’m a fellracer first and a Fellrunner second...

Pete
    Last edited by Travs; 27-07-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Great report Pete!

Chapeau...

Well done Pete
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.