Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Fans

Nice one Dan... i don't know what the temperatures were on the summits but it was 28/29deg back at the start/finish. There was a bit of a breeze on the tops, but we didn't hang around long enough to take advantage!

Yeah, that is hot. Likewise don't know what it was in the valley at Wasdale but would guess low 20's. That step up to high 20's makes a big difference and any races I've done in that heat have been very tough.

Well done Pete, I’ve been up Scotland this weekend doing Alva on Saturday and Dollar today - it’s been scorchio!
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Yes Daz, i saw you had a good result at Dollar!

See you soon.

Great write up Travs. Superb result. Brought back the desperate pain of doing this race in midsummer heat!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Its a tough old slog out to Fan Frynach. Route choice to Fan Nedd can be interesting! I agree with Matt....its better to make a big swing north west to contour as much as possible between Llia and Fan Fawr.

How I miss racing!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Its a tough old slog out to Fan Frynach. Route choice to Fan Nedd can be interesting! I agree with Matt....its better to make a big swing north west to contour as much as possible between Llia and Fan Fawr.

How I miss racing!
    I went down the ridge off Fan Frynych, dropping steeply near the end direct to Sarn Helen.... Matt retraced his steps back to Beacons Way. Assuming that you can find a decent way down from the ridge to Sarn Helen, i think that way is quicker than Beacons Way, but its probably down to personal preference and not a huge amount in it.

I think the contour from Fan Llia to Fan Fawr is likely quicker. However next year the race will be in opposite direction... in which case i think the down-and-up possibly makes more sense as its not quite as brutal in opposite direction at such an early stage in the race (although its a big downhill to the reservoir)

Simon you should get yourself out on the Black Mountains course in September as its a British Champs race. I wonder what the front end will be like, as Finlay Wild already has the Champs sewn up... but regardless it should be big numbers and a high quality race.... personally i'm hoping for atrocious weather as it could cause chaos
    Last edited by Travs; 15-07-2022 at 01:36 PM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

Thumbs down

Thinking about having a jog around the route clockwise on Saturday as I'm on my way back from Cardiff to Brum. I don't think my legs or time will allow for Fan Nedd so I'll hit Fan llia early and head back from there. Any recommendations on route choice?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

From Fan Fawr summit you have two options... straight down to reservoir and up Fan Llia, or the traverse round on the ridge.

Given that you're missing out Fan Nedd, i'd recommend doing the big down and up via reservoir. Otherwise you'll be retracing a lot of the ground when you go from Fan Llia to Fan Ffrynch.

When you come north of Fan Llia it is simple to stay on the main path all the way to Fan Ffrynch. However if time permits it would be more interesting to drop down west to the Sarn Helen road, then reach Fan Frynch either up the west ridge, or via the Cwm-Du valley then up onto the shoulder.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Sounds good - will give it a go.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast