Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Fans

The Peak Raid guys have got a 4 race series on the go at the moment - it's looks really good. Shame I haven't got a smart phone!

In the Peak, obviously.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    "A slight disappointment to not beat last year's time.."

But still a WIN!!
    Congratulations!
    Well done, Pete. Good to see all your training pay off.

Entry for this excellent race is now open. I expect places will go quickly once word gets round.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I was hoping to enter but as my physio has now limited me to 2x5k per week after a long period of abstinence, I doubt this is a good idea. Anyway, it is one on the short list for next year.

A friendly message from the RO last night that i won't have it all my own way this year, as there's a few decent locals turning up with the ability to run away from me if i'm not fighting fit!

Looks like i'll have to go on the attack right from the start (which was the plan anyway!)
    Last edited by Travs; 06-07-2021 at 07:42 AM.

Another fantastic Four Fans race. The RO's promise of some hot competition proved to be true, and it was a much more competitive race than last year.

Set what i thought was a brisk but not reckless pace up the first climb, and was rather amazed to go over the summit in joint 2nd. On the huge tussocky descent i lost about 90secs which dropped me down to 5th, but looking back on the 2nd climb we were already well clear of those behind. And so it stayed until the end... the final climb gives you ample opportunity to assess your position, and i could see that i was well clear of 6th, but wasn't going to be catching 4th.

2hrs15.... a pb by 6mins, and i couldn't really do any more than that today (except for a slight un-optimal route on the way back to the finish).

The splits tell an interesting story...

https://www.racetek-live.co.uk/websi...plete_results/

Ignoring the winner (who destroyed the field and set a new record), i was almost stride for stride with the leading group up and down the steep first half of the race. As expected, when it became slightly more runnable i lost a few minutes, but still running faster than those behind me.

Only really let myself down on the final split... as mentioned i didn't take the best line and that cost a couple of minutes, but i think being honest i was about cooked by then... dropped 5mins on those in front and allowed those behind to catch a minute or so.... making the final times look a little less salubrious on my part.

But a good runout, a substantial pb, and most positive of all.... back to racing with a smile...

Pete

Nice one Trav's.

Bet it was nice to be back in Wales!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Well done Travs!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    That winning margin of over 15 minutes is very impressive: worthy of Billy Bland!

I think if I was ever to have another attempt at this, I would prefer it anticlockwise: the advantage of having the two really steep climbs in the later stages of the race is that when I'm knackered and can only crawl, it doesn't seem so bad crawling up a steep hill. In contrast, doing the last two miles on that long, very gentle descent from Fan Frynych could be soul-destroying when there's no fuel left in the tank; leaving aside the issue of finding a good line, which you came up against, Travs.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

It will now alternate yearly, so A/C next year...