Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Four Fans

Its worth mentioning that whenever you're off-path in that area you'll be battling very tussocky ground.... and the down/up via the reservior is a big descent/climb!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I had thought that would be so - seems pretty much the case wherever you stray too far away from a path in the Brecons. I have planned a route sticking mainly to paths and minimising any potential tussocks with the Sarn Helen route an optional extension on the day given weather, time and how I'm feeling.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Entries to this excellent race are now open on Fabian4...

Plan sailing for me at the moment, as i'm the only entrant.

[QUOTE=Travs;683837]Entries to this excellent race are now open on Fabian4...

/QUOTE]

... and a bargain at £3
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

It is however £10 for non WFRA members.... which of course makes the £10 WFRA yearly membership brilliant value!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    It is however £10 for non WFRA members.... which of course makes the £10 WFRA yearly membership brilliant value!
    And discriminates against newcomers to the sport, who might not do a second race, and runners from England and Scotland who may only do one Welsh race a year

It doesn't discriminate against anyone Marco.

The lower entrance fee is just a benefit of being a member of the organisation, which is open to all.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    It doesn't discriminate against anyone Marco.

The lower entrance fee is just a benefit of being a member of the organisation, which is open to all.
    Indeed, I'm a WFRA member but English and live in England. I don't think £10pa is discrimination when you can easily get it back in race entry fees and I'm happy to support any organisation that supports and lobbies for our sport in any area I'd like to run in.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Back to the race in hand - hoping to do a recce in the next few weeks and if that proves ok , will be entering soon after. Having only done one previous run around the area not that confident as yet.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Got to agree with Pete and Llani above.

1) It basically comes down to £10 to enter, or £13 to enter and become a member of the WFRA. Very good value either way in my opinion.

2) Four Fans really isn't a race that newcomers are going to attempt as a first go... thats not elitism or snobbery.... The turnout is usually in the 20's or 30's.... over 50% of the course is open to drastic route options... and vast parts of the course are completely pathless... and its a remote area where you are unlikely to come across anyone who isn't actually racing or marshalling.... there's plenty of warning all over the race webpage which indicates this.... the RO certainly doesn't discriminate against any runners... i'll hopefully finish in around 2hr15, and some runners will be over 4hrs.... but he does want to ensure that everyone racing has the necessary experience to make it round the course alone.

3) I'm English and a WFRA member, despite this year intending to do only two Welsh races this year, one of which doesn't offer a discount to WFRA members. For me its just a case of supporting the WFRA. I notice the English FRA have introduced the option for races to have similar split pricing.