When I got into fellrunning one of my main aims was to complete the Lakeland Classics Trophy (and funnily enough despite doing more races than I ever anticipated was possible, I’ve never done enough LCT races each year to qualify for a place! I vow to correct this next year).

I wonder if such a thing would be beneficial in Wales, which has some equally fantastic classics... perhaps a five race series, Peris, Welsh 1000, Black Mountains, Brecon Beacons, and one other (is the Pennant Horseshoe sufficiently long?). 3 races to count, with at least one being a “super long” I.e Peris or the Welsh 1000....

I know that I’d certainly get behind it, and it could help to boost numbers.

On the other hand, perhaps there just isn’t the racing community to get behind it... even when the Brecon Beacons was a Welsh Champs race last year it didn’t manage 40 people. And my relative positions in the Welsh Champs/South Wales Champs in comparison to the nearby Shropshire Champs would suggest that the Shropshire races are maybe more competitive (and certainly better supported).

Just wondered if such a thing has ever been considered?

Despite the small numbers in many of these races, the infrastructure and community behind them seems to be strong, and I can’t see them going anywhere soon... I’d just hate to see any great races disappear.

And before anyone suggests.... I’d love to get behind and organise such a thing if I had the time and means/connections, but that just isn’t feasible at this stage...!