Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welsh Classics?

Welsh Classics?

When I got into fellrunning one of my main aims was to complete the Lakeland Classics Trophy (and funnily enough despite doing more races than I ever anticipated was possible, I’ve never done enough LCT races each year to qualify for a place! I vow to correct this next year).

I wonder if such a thing would be beneficial in Wales, which has some equally fantastic classics... perhaps a five race series, Peris, Welsh 1000, Black Mountains, Brecon Beacons, and one other (is the Pennant Horseshoe sufficiently long?). 3 races to count, with at least one being a “super long” I.e Peris or the Welsh 1000....

I know that I’d certainly get behind it, and it could help to boost numbers.

On the other hand, perhaps there just isn’t the racing community to get behind it... even when the Brecon Beacons was a Welsh Champs race last year it didn’t manage 40 people. And my relative positions in the Welsh Champs/South Wales Champs in comparison to the nearby Shropshire Champs would suggest that the Shropshire races are maybe more competitive (and certainly better supported).

Just wondered if such a thing has ever been considered?

Despite the small numbers in many of these races, the infrastructure and community behind them seems to be strong, and I can’t see them going anywhere soon... I’d just hate to see any great races disappear.

And before anyone suggests.... I’d love to get behind and organise such a thing if I had the time and means/connections, but that just isn’t feasible at this stage...!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Bring back the Trans Fan! http://runmdc.org.uk/runs/transfan/
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

That does look a fantastic route actually. In fact that section of the Brecon Beacons Race with all the sharp climbs and descents is one of the best sections of fellracing I’ve done.

Great post Travs - Lianbedr Blaenavon could replace the now sadly demised Cwn Pennant.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

It's a lovely idea. Peris horseshoe, welsh 1000 metres and black mountains for definite. I've never done cwm pennant so cannot comment on that safe to say it looks epic. I would not include brecon beacons...too much boring ridge running. Trans Fan would be ideal if the age old landowner objections can be overcome. Mid wales needs a candidate. I have not done Arenig Fawr but The Rhinogs race was properly brutal!

The beauty of all these races was the small fields. As a competitor you really felt like one of a select band of challengers. As an RO it makes it marginal and a labour of love. So races like Rhinogs have fallen by the wayside. Sad but there we are.

I was thinking long races. As much as Arenig Fawr is a brutal and quite fantastic route, by my criteria (solely in my head) it would be a little too short.

I enjoyed the Brecon Beacons (clockwise) last year. Ok it really hots up when you hit the reservoir at halfway, but the first half wasn’t exactly unenjoyable. Mind you it was one of the sunniest and hottest days of the year. You must be spoilt in Wales!

Yes, I agree, clockwise is the way to go. Anticlockwise is soul destroying as its never ending ridge running after Pen Y fan. Last time I did the race, I could not face the second part and dropped out on Pen Y fan. The fact my mate Toffer was there with a bottle of whiskey had NOTHING to do with it!!

I think Llanbedr Blaenavon may struggle with a classic listing because of the long road section through Abergavenny including the frankly dangerous Usk bridge crossing. Its a shame because the rest of the race is an excellent test of mountain running.

My one off race from Hay on Wye might make the grade in the future if I get around to organising it again. Tinders, you would love it!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post

My one off race from Hay on Wye might make the grade in the future if I get around to organising it again. Tinders, you would love it!
    Where did that go? Straight up Hay Bluff to start, I hope.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Indeed it did.
    CP1 Hay Bluff
    CP2 LHK
    CP3 Capel y ffin
    CP4 Grwyne Valley road crossing
    CP5 Pen y Gadair Fawr
    CP6 Waun Fach
    CP7 North end of Grwyne Resevoir
    CP8 Tywyn talycefn
    CP9 Rhos Dirion
    CP10 LHK
    CP11 Hay Bluff.

http://connect.garmin.com/course/5365659
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Indeed it did.
    CP1 Hay Bluff
    CP2 LHK
    CP3 Capel y ffin
    CP4 Grwyne Valley road crossing
    CP5 Pen y Gadair Fawr
    CP6 Waun Fach
    CP7 North end of Grwyne Resevoir
    CP8 Tywyn talycefn
    CP9 Rhos Dirion
    CP10 LHK
    CP11 Hay Bluff.

http://connect.garmin.com/course/5365659

Distance/climb?

There’s always the Stretton Skyline. Ok it’s not Wales but it’s a “classic” and lower numbers than it deserves.