Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Crown Round

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I have descended that alternative route you suggest, down to the ford. Not sure what difference it makes when ascending though.

Quickest route (in my opinion) is to go further down the Caldew and cross between Blackhazel Beck and White Gill, and climb the NNE shoulder of Mungrisedale Common. You fairly quickly pick up a trod here which continues all the way up towards the screes immediately below Blencathra. It is pretty much all runnable if you're capable.

I made up a lot of time on this section over those who took alternative routes.
    Hey thanks for the tip. I'll check that out next time I'm in the area.
    Am Yisrael Chai

From my performance (or more accurately, lack of performance) in this year's race you would never suspect that the OCR was a bad habit of mine about 20 years ago, and that I once held the record for it at a fairly pedestrian 4hrs and 1 minute. The route at that time involved Carrock, Great Cockup, Skiddaw and Blencathra. A group of us spent many days trying route and starting point/direction variations. Eventually I favoured anti clockwise, starting with Carrock from the top of Swineside. I did a short climb out and then a long diagonal, not too steep climb to Carrock Summit. I've descended the same way, which is more or less SW from the summit, and found it not too bad. In fact I used that route the only other time I've run this as an organised event and found it reasonably quick.
    This year's race was a disaster for me - I've spent many more hours kayaking than running over the summer and I don't run at all well in the heat. I got to Carrock in last place and decided I didn't fancy another 5 hours or so in the heat so slinked back to the start with my tail between my legs.