Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Wales Winter League

South Wales Winter League

Anyone do Tor y Foel at the weekend?

Re: South Wales Winter League

Unfortunately I missed this one, I really wanted to do it but circumstances this weekend prevented me from getting there.

What was the race like on the day? I was up there on New Year's day and there were a few trees over in the woody bit and the grassy slope was a quite slippy, but not quite as slippy as that 'special' section Blorenge.

I hope to be at the Darren - can anyone describe the route?

The race at the weekend was good. A bit damp and very windy to the extent that Kay marshalling stoped below the summit as she was being blowen over on the top. A few trees to negotiate though the felled wood but no real trouble. The decent though the open fell was realy nice, you couls realy let go and you would not come to too much harm if you fell... The 200 m of flat on the Dam at the end was the hardest bit after hammering the decent...

Billy, the Darren race route is nothing to worry about...a classic up and down. Stevie Wonder could do it. The real challenge is finding the start, buried as it is in the nether regions of Risca (which is as risky as it sounds!).
    Also missed Tory Boy because of domestic duties....damn, and I was looking forwards to it!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

If all goes to plan, I should be able to make it to the Darren this weekend. Not sure how much effort I will be able to apply in the race itself - groin strain still hasn't improved.

I was wondering if the weather would keep some people away, but then I thought about it a bit longer and I reckon most of the runners who would normally attend would probably think the current conditions would enhance the event rather than detract from it !!

Want be there myself driving over to Norfolk for the British Night O champs. The road bit at the bottom may be fun comming back down in the snow. I would of been waring my spiked O shoes for sure.

Ifor

I'm just back from the Darren. Very entertaining with a lot of slushy snow about. Definately a classic! Skis would've been useful coming down the open hill section.

Martin/Zlod: I haven't saved have your e-mail address and you're no longer registered as Zlod so I can't send you a PM. Contact me and I can send you what I think is the route for the Tumble race.

Cheers
    Rhys

Still haven't recovered from the Darren.....I seem to have completely mashed my legs on the downhill bit - hips are really sore and I have one knee about twice the size of the other - I really need to work on my downhill technique!

How can such a short race have such an impact on my body? I must be weak or something.

My legs are also covered in small purple blotches which look more like tiny bruses, hardly any scratches however - really wierd

Despite all the above, still had a great time! Next up is Tumble, can't wait.

The Tumble is this saturday I believe. What's this one like? Is it down then up? Any possibility of some running being involved or is it another cliff face like Blorenge?

Well I managed to not make it to the Tumble on saturday - I had high hopes of completing the series this year but I've contrived to miss the last three races now.

Did anyone on here run / spectate? Any reports?

Here's hoping to be there for Pen Cerrig Calch.