Thread: Proximal hamstring strain

Proximal hamstring strain

Seems like my piriformis could now be proximal hamstring problems , I’m four weeks into not running now and it’s still painful to sit as walk fast . I’m hearing all sorts of stories of doom and gloom that my running days are over !? Can anyone offer me any positive comments or advice at all. I can swim bike or cross train but no running or walking which he’s me to the places I enjoy so much 😰... please advise ! I’ve been to see a private sorts physio and he’s given me some exercises which I am doing . Are my running days really doomed ?😭😭😭

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatfemalefellrunner View Post
    Seems like my piriformis could now be proximal hamstring problems , I’m four weeks into not running now and it’s still painful to sit as walk fast . I’m hearing all sorts of stories of doom and gloom that my running days are over !? Can anyone offer me any positive comments or advice at all. I can swim bike or cross train but no running or walking which he’s me to the places I enjoy so much 😰... please advise ! I’ve been to see a private sorts physio and he’s given me some exercises which I am doing . Are my running days really doomed ?😭😭😭
    This is a surprisingly common injury, and should only be a temporary setback. Do those exercises!

Quote Originally Posted by fatfemalefellrunner View Post
    I hope it is improving. A word of caution: if it is a Proximal Hamstring Tendon issue, stretches might make it worse. I reckon 6 months of physio added to my problems. Waiting for surgery now.....

I agree - injury is a total pain in the ass but it is temporary - be strong in your mind - know beyond any doubt that you will heal and become stronger because of this!!

As other have said, keep doing the exercises, the best training you can do for yourself is in the moments when you know you should but you don't want to do them; we all get it, everything is saying you don't have to do them, have a day off, it doesn't matter etc.. it's at this precise moment that you have the most opportunity for growth, have stern words with yourself, you are in control, get up and do the exercises. You will be stronger.

Sorry to hear Old Whippet - sounds serious

I hope the surgery goes well and helps!