Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing bands.....

Amazing bands.....

.....who should have been bigger.

Here's an opportunity to plug your favourite band who should have been bigger. You tube links not needed.

My nomination is Mansun. Across 3 albums, the Chester 4 piece played music of fascinating variation, depth, richness and emotion. Better swallowed hole rather than picking out individual tracks the albums Attack of the Grey Lantern, Six and Little Kix fill the post Brit-pop late nineties/Millennial void with superbly crafted and thought provoking material that still sounds fresh today. Driven apart by internal tensions, they have left a triptych of British Music that seems sadly underappreciated today. Give any of 3 albums a spin and see if you agree.

Other nominations?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Super Moderator
    Villagers

Banned
    Grimethorpe Colliery Band

Atomic Rooster - especially the first three albums: Atomic Roooster, Death walks behind you, In hearing of.

Such an underrated 70’s rock band. Their biggest hit being Devils answer.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post

Here's an opportunity to plug your favourite band who should have been bigger. You tube links not needed.

My nomination is Mansun. Across 3 albums, the Chester 4 piece played music of fascinating variation, depth, richness and emotion. Better swallowed hole rather than picking out individual tracks the albums Attack of the Grey Lantern, Six and Little Kix fill the post Brit-pop late nineties/Millennial void with superbly crafted and thought provoking material that still sounds fresh today. Driven apart by internal tensions, they have left a triptych of British Music that seems sadly underappreciated today. Give any of 3 albums a spin and see if you agree.

Other nominations?
    I remember these guys, their track Wide Open Space - appeared on pretty much every 90’s indie compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post

Other nominations?
    from a similar era, just a shout out for Symposium. I suppose I'd say they were a Brit version of Offspring or Green Day.

I went to watch the Foo Fighters around 97 where they were the support at Liverpool. They were probably the best support band I've ever seen. They could really play, decent songs and I think they were still at school at the time.

Only one album, which I bought after seeing them. I'll have to dig it out. Haven't played it for getting on 20 years.

At the time, I thought that these guys would make it - I was wrong, but they were very good live.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Grimethorpe Colliery Band

Trevor, could you be any more Yorkshire? Hope you’re well pal.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Trevor, could you be any more Yorkshire? Hope you’re well pal.
    Black Dyke Mills👍🏆

Great question! I’m going with The Inspiral Carpets. They were, unfortunately, in the shadow of The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays & Primal Scream. But for me, equally as talented.

Agreed Jez. Clint Boon was a great musician.
    Tinders...Atomic Rooster! Proper blast from the past. I remember Tomorrow Night being an an old K-Tel rock sampler we had. Can I add Argent to your shout? Rod Argent was/is an underrated talent.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth