Thread: Hello from Hebden Bridge

Smile Hello from Hebden Bridge

Hey everyone,

I am just getting back into running, I used to do quite a lot when I was younger, but never any races or anything like that, it was always just for me or as part of a group activity just for fun.

I am taking things really slow and steady and working my way through the Asics RunKeeper Couch to 5K with Erin - she's great and always seems to know the right time to catch me when I am flagging a bit. It's a little uncanny to be honest

Anyway, I am being encouraged by Erin to go for a race. So, while I am not interested in the actual 'race' part of it, by that I mean competing - I love the running, but I will probably come last I am interested in the camaraderie / mutual support side of it and have picked Beefys Nab on the 15th of September as my first race. I guess I may end up walking bits of it, but I am okay with that.

Is anyone here doing that race? I am sure I will meet some folk on the day but it would be good to make some kind of contact beforehand. Perhaps someone else who is just starting out, so we can encourage each other a bit.

Thank you
    Last edited by DangerMouse; 05-08-2019 at 09:16 PM.

Hi DM. Good to hear you're getting back into running and are considering a race. I've not done that one but I'm sure you'll find plenty of support at the race. Good luck

there's plenty of walking in fell running anyway so don't be worried about doing it!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Thank you noel and ba-ba

Good to know about the walking bit - that's helpful and reassuring. I found the previous race times and I've been looking at my map and think I can spot a likely route for the race up to Nab Hill, it looks quite steep in places. I walk up ~160m almost every day up an even steeper hill just to get back home from town though, so I should be fine. Even in the few weeks I have been training I have noticed that my walks up the hill have been getting easier.

I've been asking around and it would seem there are more runners in my social circle than I expected. What seems to be the limiting factor in finding someone to run with is finding folk who actually want to go up, so many run along the canal, which is fair enough but not my bag at all.

Of course I'll still turn up and run even if I don't find anyone to go with; there's plenty of time yet though - thanks again

Super Moderator
    Beefy’s is a perfect intro race - you’ll enjoy it. I’m hoping to be there and if that’s the case hope we can meet up for a chat
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I might be there too

Excellent - thank you - I am looking forward to this even more now

I broke the 3 mile barrier this morning, it was a little damp (okay pouring with rain) and up in the clouds so couldn't see much, but still a good run! I had to break on the final interval going out as I was on a steep bit and well... my poor lungs just couldn't get enough air in to keep my legs going - I got to 35 seconds out of the 60 though. Managed the other 19 intervals just fine - next time I will have it!!

Hi Danger Mouse,

I'm based in Mytholmroyd and run with Todmorden Harriers. I think we're about to start a couch to 5k type programme but some people run a Monday night group for beginners in Todmorden. I think they mostly stick to the roads but its been positive and we've had a few new members off the back of it. We also have our pack runs on Wednesday nights and have groups of all abilities usually and we go and visit a different pub in the area each month which is a great way to explore the surrounding moors and woodland we have round here.

There's Calder Valley Fell Runners in Mytholmroyd too who are also a great club and a great bunch of people and again they have runners off all abilities. They meet on Tuesday's at Mytholmroyd Community Centre.

Get yourself down to either club if you haven't done already, there's a really nice fell running scene in the valley at all levels. I only moved to the area about 2 years ago and got involved in running in summer 2018 after loads of hiccups with injury but I've felt really welcomed into the local fell running community and really embraced it.

Thank you ponte_ricky for your lovely welcoming and encouraging post

Mytholmroyd is much closer to where I am so I had already picked that out as the club to join, I think, I am still contemplating.

The main issues for me are first, that I am already on the tops, so it makes no sense for me to go down into the valley to run, at least not until my runs get long enough that I am not left with much choice which is probably a good while off yet. And second, getting to Todmorden or Mytholmroyd is a significant walk (25-30 mins to the train station) and then a train ride - it eats up so much time when I can just go out and run.

Having said that I am interested in the events, maybe I should just get in touch with the club organisers and see what's happening, there might be something that piques my interest! The monthly trips to different pubs sounds good

Thank you again and also - welcome to the forum - good to have another active new person around - especially one so close to home