Thread: Snowdon VK

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Snowdon VK

I see that there is a Vertical Kilometre race on Snowdon, in conjunction with a Skyrace: https://apexrunning.co/events/snowdon-skyline . But if I was going to be in Snowdonia on 14th September, would I want to spend £30 on the VK, or £5 on the Elidir Fawr race, where there is nearly as much climbing, and also a descent (although for me personally, not having to race back downhill would be one of the attractions of the VK)?

Note to Tindersticks: The VK starts at 12:00, and the Elidir Fawr race at 2:00. You should be on top of Snowdon by 1:00 at the VK race, which leaves plenty of time to jog down the Llanberis path and be in Nant Peris in time for the Elidir Fawr race.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

it's not actually a VK as it's too long, in any case.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I see that there is a Vertical Kilometre race on Snowdon, in conjunction with a Skyrace: https://apexrunning.co/events/snowdon-skyline . But if I was going to be in Snowdonia on 14th September, would I want to spend £30 on the VK, or £5 on the Elidir Fawr race, where there is nearly as much climbing, and also a descent (although for me personally, not having to race back downhill would be one of the attractions of the VK)?

Note to Tindersticks: The VK starts at 12:00, and the Elidir Fawr race at 2:00. You should be on top of Snowdon by 1:00 at the VK race, which leaves plenty of time to jog down the Llanberis path and be in Nant Peris in time for the Elidir Fawr race.
    £30 for a race that is just over 3 miles! £90 for 22 miles with a 12 hour cut off! Catering to the rich mediocrity! Do you get a free buff?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    it's not actually a VK as it's too long, in any case.
    True, but it's not the only case that I've seen of a race calling itself a VK when its length is greater than the customary 5km. I'm not sure why it goes via the South Ridge; if it went up the Watkin Path, with obvious short-cuts allowed, it would sneak under the 5km limit
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges