Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who likes 'bad' weather?

Talking Who likes 'bad' weather?

I was chatting with a friend last night and lamenting that it started raining just as I got back from my morning run and I missed getting wet

It's kinda hard to explain (don't get me wrong, I love the sun too) but I feel a much deeper connection to the earth when I am out in the elements and they are having a go. I love looking across the moors and seeing a bank of rain make it's way across the horizon, the rainbows that pop up out of nowhere, the ever changing clouds, the colours of the flora glistening... magical!

It also makes coming back home to the warmth of a wood fire, a nice brew and a change into dry clothes all the better!

I am sure that I am not alone in having a deep appreciation of all the very varied weather we get here in the UK, it is never boring!! Endless days of sunshine may be all well and good, but I do find it a bit boring after a little while...

So I am reaching out to you guys for a little bit of moral support - tell me I am not alone? Share your favourite weather observations/stories? What do you like best about the UK weather? Anything that can help anyone develop their appreciation of the wonderfully varied conditions we have here?

Or tell me I am crazy and I should move to Greece?

Banned
    Love bad weather 👍

Super Moderator
    +1 for bad weather. Training done in bad weather has extra value ~ Rule 9

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I'm with you on this one, DangerMouse. If anyone asks me what I like about living in Britain, the weather would be fairly near the top of the list: because it keeps on changing. Like you, I get bored if the weather stays the same for too long, regardless of what type of weather that is.

Are you a member of the Cloud Appreciation Society?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I'd quite happily live in a Canaries type climate where it’s warm/hot and sunny nearly all year round. No bother.

Although I perversely do enjoy the winter evening club training sessions where it’s dark/freezing/snow/chucking it down... seeing who makes the effort to get out and get the session done, or who makes their excuses... character building!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    As one who struggles with the heat, I would much rather have cooler, wetter weather and really don't mind it at all. Wednesday night's run saw a torrential downpour with a stiff breeze which I really appreciated after so many hot and humid runs of late.

Excellent - I knew you wouldn't let me down

Thank you all!!

Cloud Appreciation Society - if I thought about it I would have guessed something like that existed but no, not until you mentioned it, not sure if it will be my kind of thing, but I will certainly look into it - thanks!!

The best clouds I've seen recently are in Finland - so dramatic - much mores than here in the UK!

It's not the bad weather, it's the bad choice of clothing :-)
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
    I was chatting with a friend last night and lamenting that it started raining just as I got back from my morning run and I missed getting wet

It's kinda hard to explain (don't get me wrong, I love the sun too) but I feel a much deeper connection to the earth when I am out in the elements and they are having a go. I love looking across the moors and seeing a bank of rain make it's way across the horizon, the rainbows that pop up out of nowhere, the ever changing clouds, the colours of the flora glistening... magical!

It also makes coming back home to the warmth of a wood fire, a nice brew and a change into dry clothes all the better!

I am sure that I am not alone in having a deep appreciation of all the very varied weather we get here in the UK, it is never boring!! Endless days of sunshine may be all well and good, but I do find it a bit boring after a little while...

So I am reaching out to you guys for a little bit of moral support - tell me I am not alone? Share your favourite weather observations/stories? What do you like best about the UK weather? Anything that can help anyone develop their appreciation of the wonderfully varied conditions we have here?

Or tell me I am crazy and I should move to Greece?
    Just read this following 7 wet & windy miles on Ilkley Moor. I have to agree with you, battling the elements & returning home wet & muddy feels very rewarding & makes that post run beer taste all the better.

I love bad weather. So elemental and exciting. Most of most memorable runs have been in foul conditions. Never forget going over the Carneddau in 100mph gusts on a W1000 metres race.